My Friend Is Dead

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by mochicken, Dec 5, 2011.

1. mochicken

mochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    When I first got my chickens in April or May of this year I got 6 chickens from my uncle, one of them was a spoiled brat my son called "Crooked Beak" Why you ask? well he had a crooked beak lol. After the months went by, a heat related issue, and a coon attack we had three of the original 6 as well as a few new chickens but Crooked Beak was still the family favorite, perhaps his crooked beak got him sympathy or perhaps he just had that "cuddle me" personality but he was one you could walk right up to and pick up and he LOVED attention.

He had a pretty severe crooked beak and alot of people kept saying cull him cull him but I said as long as he is eating ok I will let him be, he ate like a little pig lol so he lived a good life I guess.

Lately the other roosters have been picking at him relentlessly so he had a bare spot on his back. Today is the coldest daytime temps we have had in quite some time so I think maybe he got too cold out in the run or maybe he just wasnt as healthy as he appeared but he has passed on to chicken heaven [​IMG]

RIP "Crooked Beak" you have been a good friend, a good chicken, and an amazing friend to my 4 year old son.......................

2. flowergirl60

flowergirl60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin Tx
    So sorry to hear about crooked beak. [​IMG]

3. abbey808

abbey808 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    Hawaii
    I am so sorry for your loss. It sounds as if he had a wonderful life with you. Hugs to you and your family. [​IMG]

4. CupOJoe42

CupOJoe42 CT Chicken Whisperer

Apr 11, 2011
    So sorry for the loss of your dear friend.

[​IMG]

5. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    [​IMG] I am so sorry you lost Crooked Beak. It sounds like you did give him a good life.

I've noticed when chicks are hatched with a visible issue, there are often internal issues going on as well. I doubt there would have been anything you could have done about it. The other birds most likely knew there was something wrong with him. Mine started picking on my fainting roo (he would pass out cold when upset) a couple of weeks before he died. I suspect he had a heart defect.

6. spacecowgirl

spacecowgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    [​IMG] That's so sad. At least you gave him a good life while you could. [​IMG]

7. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Very sorry.

8. simplynewt

simplynewt Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    Alabama
    My Coop
    My regards to you and your flock. Crooked Beak is in a good place now.

9. mommissan

mommissan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    Adirondacks
    It's so wonderful to know that you gave him a good loving home while he was alive! He was very lucky to have your family. Hugs to you for your loss. [​IMG]

10. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by