My friend just hit a deer can I process it? need advise please

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by AHappychick, Nov 22, 2009.

1. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    my friend just called me he is fine but he hot and killed a deer about 10 minutes ago. Can I go collect it and process it? do I gut it on the scene? or should I bring it home to do? is it allowed if it is road kill if I obviously have no tags?

can someone direct me to a web site that tells how to do it? I love venison and the poor thing should not go to waste. but I have never processed anything larger than a chicken before so I have no idea as to how. well I have a general sence. Maybe I can just go and cut out the good parts???? that would be either side of it right? doesnt have to be pretty just would like to put some meat in the frig that costs nothing [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 22, 2009
  2. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    check your local laws, here that would be illegal.

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I would go and get it. Glad your friend is okay!

4. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    here you can take it but you have to call the cops to have the game commission take the head and hide. you can find a processor in the phone book, if you know how to gut it you should other wise get it to be processed right away. And of course, make sure its in good enough condition, like its not blown out on the side or anything that would contaminate the meat.

5. AHappychick

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    i just got off the phone with the state police they are tagging it for me now and I am heading up there. ok so I am just gonna put it in the truck and bring it home right or does it need to be gutted first? should I bring a knife???? my friend is coming to help

6. CedarRidgeChicks

CedarRidgeChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    Adair Co.Ky
    Check with Game and Fish first..my hubby has hit several..the State Police always asked if he wanted to keep it..if yes they call it in to game and fish. He has actually hit 5 in 4 years, the first a very large 235 lb 12 pt buck that did $5900.00 damage to the truck yes we kept the rack!! It was during rut and the deer was torn up bad..

As to keeping..depends on the damage and how quick you can gut/hang.

7. AHappychick

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    i dont think I can get it to a processor until tomorrow and the ones I found said it must be a skinned carcuss? does that mean gutted too? well I have about 5 minures before I head out just waiting for my friend.

8. TipsyDog

TipsyDog Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2009
    Aregua, Paraguay
    Yes. Best to gut it immediately. Careful to not cut the stomach open if possible. Where ever the deer got hit, the meat will probably be heavily bruised and no good.

Get it home, hang and skin it. It's not that hard. Good Luck!

ETA: Spelling

9. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    That's great that you get to keep it!! It's always irritated me about Oregon that you can't keep a deer that you hit, AND they just throw them away, you can't even donate wild meat to feed the homeless here!!! GRRRR!!!

Yay for you and your freezer!!

10. 1acrefarm

1acrefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2007
    Georgia
    If it were hit by a car I would most likely not gut it at all. A lot of deer hit by cars have ruptures in their guts that make cleaning them more difficult and alot of times you don't realize it until you gut them. I would just take the quarters that are not too severely damaged and the back strap.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by