My friend keeps her chicken inside and it poos everywhere!

Pics

Nochickenmama

Hatching
Mar 15, 2023
I’ve stepped in it under my chair. My husband picked up what he thought was cardboard… nope, chicken poop. She lets it roam the house, no diaper, and although she tries to clean it up immediately, she often doesn’t. I had to ask her to pick up a big old dried up chicken poop on her carpet where I was sitting.

I love this chicken. She’s hilarious. Her eggs are lovely, her clucks are lovely. But her vent feathers are always covered in poop. She climbs on the coffee table and eats out of dishes if she gets the opportunity.

She won’t diaper, she won’t confine the chicken. I’m grossed out, worried about disease, and upset that her husband hates having the chicken indoors and she just doesn’t seem to care.

My friend is so lovely, but I think I’m not going to go over to her house as long as the chicken is inside. I just can’t get over the grossness of chicken poop being left on the floor, or being on the floor ever.

What am I missing here?

I danced around the issue a lot. She’s an animal lover, and a very gentle soul. She adores this chicken. I’ve asked her to clean up after it poops, but she usually doesn’t do it right away. But the more I look into it, the more I realize how sick chicken poop can make you just leaving it in the house, the more I realize that I can’t spend time over there, at least, until the weather warms up and the chicken is outside. But even when it’s warm, she lets the chickens come inside and wander around in and out.

I love that she loves animals so much. But I’m to the point where I think I don’t really want to go over there. I want to send her some of the articles I found, but I also don’t want to be that friend who gives advice where it’s not wanted.

I danced around the issue a lot. She’s an animal lover, and a very gentle soul. She adores this chicken. I’ve asked her to clean up after it poops, but she usually doesn’t do it right away. But the more I look into it, the more I realize how sick chicken poop can make you just leaving it in the house, the more I realize that I can’t spend time over there, at least, until the weather warms up and the chicken is outside. But even when it’s warm, she lets the chickens come inside and wander around in and out.

I love that she loves animals so much. But I’m to the point where I think I don’t really want to go over there. I want to send her some of the articles I found, but I also don’t want to be that friend who gives advice where it’s not wanted.
Well even if she doesn't want this advice it might be good for her she could get really sick from this your concerned about her and I get that maybe you can encourage her to have more sanitation or at least potty train or give this chicken a diaper good luck!

Just quite going over there. Unless she has a mental health issue, she knows good and well that it’s unsanitary hence her actively trying to clean it up. No amount of articles are going to make that light come on. While yes it is disgusting it’s her house and she is free to let a chicken poop in it as long as the chicken isn’t technically being neglected. If she asks why you stopped going to her house be honest “I enjoy your company susan which is why I love having you come over here to visit, but last time I was at your house I stuck my hand in some chicken poo.”

You're not missing anything.
I agree it's quite disgusting, but nothing says you have to go over there... If you want to visit, you can always invite her over to your house or meet somewhere neutral.
If she doesn't even listen to her husband about getting the chicken out of the house, I don't know why you're concerning yourself over it. 🤷‍♀️

Tell me your friend does not have children.

That is not a sanitary way for people to live. You are not crazy. Not going over there again is a valid response. I would also be worried about the germs she brings into your space on her clothes and shoes. I don't think I could eat anything prepared in her home. It's not just the poo, it's the constant chicken dander and feathers that would be a problem for me.

Giving your friend educational material and articles is kindly meant. Even giving her chicken diaper(s). If I were you, I would do that. But be prepared that there is a possibility for this to backfire on you and negatively impact your friendship.

It may soon become apparent which is more important to her, your friendship or her chicken?

Sorry you're having to deal with this issue. I really hope you have a good outcome.

Back
Top Bottom