My Friendly Birds

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by ddcoyne, May 17, 2011.

1. ddcoyne

ddcoyne Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2011
    Covington
    I love my chickens. I used to think that, when I was old, I was going to be the crazy cat lady. I have now decided I will be the crazy chicken lady. lol

I go out to the coop each day with treats. All 15 of the chickens in the coop come running because they know I bring yummy food. Many will jump into my lap to get a better chance at the snacks. However, I have a few that will stay in my lap after the food is gone. One is our friendly little roo.

Here he is roosting on my hand/lap:
    [​IMG]

I really hope he stays so friendly, because I like him very much and would feel terrible if I had to cook him. I don't think I could, actually. I think he'll grow up to be very handsome.

Then, I have a very special little bird, Diana, who thinks I'm a pirate and that she's my parrot. There is never a time that I enter the coop that she does not hop up on my shoulder and perch/roost for at least 10 minutes, usually longer. And I'm proud to say, she has never pooped on me! lol
    [​IMG]

We named her Diana because, from a very young age she would hunt insects. Diana, goddess of the hunt, proved to be an appropriate name. And I think it suits her because she seems so dainty compared to the rest of her flock. She is smaller, svelte and graceful (as graceful as a chicken can be, I suppose).

These birds make me happy.

2. uncle rico

uncle rico Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Spring Green, WI
    Lets hope that nice little roo doesn't turn mean on you [​IMG]

BTW, I love Napoleon Dynamite (just check out my username and you'll know what I'm talking about!) [​IMG]

3. MyMummble

MyMummble Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2011
    Carson City
    I love your chickens!! They are really cute!! I hope the roo stays nice!!! [​IMG]

4. harmona1

harmona1 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 27, 2010
    Indiana
    OMG, I thought the SAME thing! (Except I was going to be the crazy dog lady.) But I wanted chickens for years and finally broke down and got some- and now I am TOTALLY ADDICTED!!!!

5. ddcoyne

ddcoyne Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2011
    Covington
    Uncle Rico, I have that quote in my sig written on one of the beams in our coop! lol

6. uncle rico

uncle rico Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Spring Green, WI
    wow, very cool [​IMG]

7. Tina D

Tina D Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2010
    Dutchess County, NY
    Aww, your chickens are beautiful!

8. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Aw, your chicks love you!

9. rhpues

rhpues Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    Timmonsville sc
    I just got mine they are 7 weeks old. Siler laced brahmas, How did you tame yours. I go out every day and sit with them, they come close now but I have to catch them if I want to hold them. I just got them last week.

10. stephjorg

stephjorg Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2011
    love your chickens!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by