My "friendly" hen has become an aggressive stalker

micheleomal

Songster
8 Years
Apr 25, 2014
Eastern Idaho
I have a White Leghorn hen who is just over a year old. I've had her for about 4 months. She is the only chicken I have that seems to want to be held and petted. Now that it is hot, I wear capris into the yard in the morning when I clean up and fill waterers etc. She was coming up and pecking my rubber shoes and pulling on my pant leg. She seemed to want to be picked up so I would pet her for a few seconds and put her down. Then she started pecking my exposed ankles. When I push her away she comes at me even faster and harder. Now she stalks me. I have to keep something between me and her or she rushed to grab at my ankles. I don't want to hurt her but I have been fairly forceful now at swatting her away with my hands, pooper scooper, and bucket. It seems to make her "mad" and even more determined. This has only gone on for a few days now so I need to break her of this behavior before it becomes habit. Any ideas why a previously docile, friendly hen would turn into an aggressive stalker? How do I break her. I could wear boots or long pants but this doesn't really solve the reason for the issue. Thoughts?

I have a BO hen that does that once in awhile too, though she isn't that aggressive. She gives something and inquisitive peck, it hurts, I push her away, and she decides I must be hinding something good and she must have it. I have no clue why she does it.

Do you have a rooster? Is she head hen?
She may just be 'protecting' the flock and has decided you are a problem....might also be why she was available to come to your coop.

No, I don't have a rooster and she is in the bottom 5 out of 14 in the pecking order. She has been very nice up until a couple days ago. A little girl used to carry her around when she was a chick before she went out with the big girls at her previous home. Today, when I needed to check on eggs and water I just picked her up when she pecked my shoe and carried her with me. Very inconvenient but she seemed to like it and I didn't have to fight her off. Probably going to cause more of a headache though if she expects me to carry her around all the time...

Back
Top Bottom