My friend's family may lose their home.

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by vfem, Dec 10, 2009.

1. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    My friend Kelli is a single mom of 2 kids. She's fought to get her child support which has not been happening this year. She was a realtor and she's still an artist. Her home sales dropped to nothing, and she no longer held her position at the realtor office she had been at. Her kids have been AMAZING and understand through everything, however they live in her art studio / apartment since she lost her house earlier this year, now her studio is going into foreclosure as well. Both her kids KNOW Christmas won't be coming this year, they had even put on a concert with some friends to raise money to to save the studio from foreclosure... problem is they were caught up in payments, until the lein has continued the foreclosure process anyways over the legal fees they owe the bank now. They have 9 days to pay the fees they are now $2000 to stop the foreclosure. However they have until January 5th to get the additional $1000 for that mortgage payment to get back on track.

Hopefully, after months of issues with her ex-husband, she'll be able to collect some of the unpaid child support from the previous year... but she's not holding her breath, and I'm shocked she held out this long for her ex to come through! Her patience far exceeds mine...

Anyways, She is auctioning off ALL her available artwork for up to 75% off her original listing prices, and gallery prices on ebay!
    http://shop.ebay.com/fineartandphoto/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686

If you can't afford her artwork, please share the link with someone you know who would love a piece of her original art.

She is a friend of mine personally I've known for years through our artist guild we are part of. You can check her feedback on ebay, she's been there a long time and has fabulous feedback on all her work!

Thanks for letting me share this, it really just breaks my heart for these kids that in 1 year they're world has done a complete 180...

[​IMG]

I love that painting ^^^ Its my favorite!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2009
  2. agnes_day

agnes_day Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2008
    oklahoma
    that is so sad [​IMG]

3. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Honestly I don't think those pictures will sell well. I don't know how the market is for "gorey" pictures but overall on Ebay, alot of pictures do not sell.

Wish I can help your friend and hopefully she would be all right by the first of the year. It is rough on everyone who had their houses foreclosed or lost for good. Is there another line of work that she can do?

4. vfem

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    What really bothers me, is they already lost their house! Now they all share a studio apartment and sleep in the same room as she paints! [​IMG]

If that's not bad enough, we have 2 other friends who have lost their houses this year. [​IMG]

What is this world coming to?! [​IMG]

5. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Something is wrong with the housing market and as well as child support payments!

6. vfem

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Quote:I do believe she is waiting tables right now while her kids are in school. But you gotta understand when you're income goes from $8000 (married) a month to $3000 a month to $1200 a month.... you still owe what you owe'd when life was pretty good. She's not a slacker by any means... but as you can see from the art, things have gotten her pretty down.

7. agnes_day

agnes_day Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2008
    oklahoma
    i was looking at her art...its really pricey! is she famous? she would do better to maybe lower the price and try to get a booth at a flea market, or maybe somewhere local. all in all though, i feel bad for her situation..how awful to be going through all that during christmas. is there another line of work she could be in until her art thing picks up?

8. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    At least she is trying!

9. vfem

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    These prices are actually lower then what they were listed for in the Gallery they were in... honestly, her prices are pretty low for being an award winning published artist. I actually have published works myself, I have sold a few pieces around the world from $500-$1000 easy... of course, times were better then. I have a few pieces I pulled from galleries up on my walls now... they were priced from $1200-$2500 on the wall.

Art can be a pretty serious profession!

10. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Quote:I never heard of her though! If she was well known, she would not have too much trouble selling her artwork.

Sometimes I think the prices are pretty high, as for me as an artist too. I am not fond of things such as Van Gogh or "lego people". Cezanne or something pleasant painting can go a bit further. Depressed pictures, personally, I would not buy at this time of the year unless I am fixing up the "Grateful Dead" Bar like we have around here which it is very popular with teens and hard core bikers or Halloween. The second page of her Ebay with vibrant colors looks a little better.

Unless she can bring the prices down pretty drastically and try out the local markets, she would have a better chance of promoting her artwork.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by