my friends think im crazy.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by crazyfeathers, Aug 24, 2013.

1. crazyfeathers

crazyfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2013
    Auburndale, Wi
    Hi I am the proud caretaker of 14 chic. I have buff orphinton, Americana, and bantons. I have already learned a lot by reading the posts and am grateful for this site as I am new to the chic scene. I am content sitting and watching my ladies as well as talking to them lol my friends think I'm crazy I just love my chickens. My only question is I have a large buff orphinton rooster and a young baton roo who just started to crow they each have a small group of hens they stick with as well as raised with, can I keep both roosters? They do go outside in a fenced area and have not fought. Thanks I look forward to learning anything about chickens.:D

1 person likes this.
  2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, crtazyfeathers, and [​IMG]! Great to have you with us! Usually one rooster for that many hens is sufficient. I would keep a close that the Buff rooster doesn't whip up on the bantam roo. If they each have their own harem it might work out. Good luck to you!

3. cluckcluckgirl

cluckcluckgirl Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Tending to my chickens
    [​IMG]

redsoxs is right, usually 1 rooster is good for about 3-15 hens. However, I think that if they seem to be getting along and the hens aren't tired of "the process", then it should be alright to have them both.[​IMG]

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] This may be one of the rare times two roos and split harems work out. I too would be concerned that the Bantam roo may be on borrowed time

5. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

6. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    [​IMG]

7. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG]
    Hello!

8. crazyfeathers

Aug 24, 2013
    Auburndale, Wi
    I will keep you updated on the roo situation. Thanks for the feedback. Where can I find information about molt ? Thanks

9. crazyfeathers

Aug 24, 2013
    Auburndale, Wi
    Just a quick update on the roo situation. Russell my dominant roo (9 pounds) and Cody my bantee roo (3 pounds) must have come to an understanding they exist very well together. Russell has all of the hens even the bantee hen, cody just roosts with her at night and when she lays an egg he is there to cheer her on but there is no mistaking that the bantee hen belongs to russell. When I do integrate a few new hens cody tries to win them over but always loses to old Russell crow lol. I have 2 roosters in with 14 hens and oddly enough it works I think it's because of the dramatic size differences and Russell does not feel threatened by cody. Thanks

10. All Henned Up

All Henned Up Muffs or Tufts

Welcome and enjoy!
    Steve. :frow

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by