1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My frizzle hen toes are turning black and dropping off!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickencrazylady, Mar 3, 2012.

1. chickencrazylady

chickencrazylady Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2011
    Two months ago, I had to remove my frizzle hen Flighty Whitey from my coop, the other 6 hens ganged up on her and she was kicked out the the flock. I moved her into my workshop and set her up in an large dog kennel. She is doing good, laying eggs and very content.
    Yesterday I took her out to clean her kennel and noticed that her back claw was pointing forward, when I really took a good look, the toe was black and was almost severed, only a piece of skin holding it on. With my hubby's help we cut off the toe. I then noticed that the same toe on the other leg is doing the same thing. She was still in the coop when we had -40 C weather. Could this be delayed frostbite or I have read that mites could be the problem. I will be taking her out today and really checking out her feet and legs for signs of mites. I do use DE in her bedding. Any help would be appreciated. Flighty Whitey is a darling of a bird and I don't want to lose her![​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Leslieb118

Leslieb118 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2011
    Louisville
    Is there any way you can post a close up picture of her legs as they look right now?

3. chickencrazylady

chickencrazylady Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2011
    I will try this afternoon, but my hubby and kid are grossed out about this and so will try to get their help in taking a close up pic of Flighty's legs and get them posted.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by