My funny little incubator

BabyandCotton

Songster
Jun 14, 2016
Florida
For fun I candled a free range eggs from the grocery store, and to my surprise, all were fertile. I made a quick incubator out of a craft case, old egg carton a heat lamp and a candy thermometer. Tomorrow is the third day so we will see if there's any development. All air sacks were intact. In case you're wondering, the brand was Organic Valley Free Range Organic Eggs (brown). Has any body hatched brown eggs from the grocery store? This my first time hatching with a incubator.

-Liv

All eggs have the white spot on the surface of the yolk (blastodisk) but that does not mean they are fertile. I always thought that you had to open an egg to see if it had a blastoderm, commonly knows as the bull's eye. Maybe they had rooters running around with the chickens at the place where they collected the eggs.
Good luck with your eggs and keep us posted.

All eggs have the white spot on the surface of the yolk (blastodisk) but that does not mean they are fertile. I always thought that you had to open an egg to see if it had a blastoderm, commonly knows as the bull's eye. Maybe they had rooters running around with the chickens at the place where they collected the eggs.
Good luck with your eggs and keep us posted.
You are correct. There is no way to tell if an unincubated egg is fertile. The only way you can tell fertility is to crack them open and look for the blastoderm (blastodisc is the unfertilized white spot, once it's fertilized and becomes a bullseye, it becomes the blastoderm), or incubate them and check for development. (However, non development does not always mean infertile.)

For fun I candled a free range eggs from the grocery store, and to my surprise, all were fertile. I made a quick incubator out of a craft case, old egg carton a heat lamp and a candy thermometer. Tomorrow is the third day so we will see if there's any development. All air sacks were intact. In case you're wondering, the brand was Organic Valley Free Range Organic Eggs (brown). Has any body hatched brown eggs from the grocery store? This my first time hatching with a incubator.
-Liv
What kind of incubator are you using??

Back
Top Bottom