1. TillinWithMyPeeps

TillinWithMyPeeps Waiting for Spring...

Aug 22, 2008
    Ohio
    What do you think? I saw this on Craigslist and have it on reserve, if all goes right, I should have it by this weekend.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2009
  2. 98 gt

98 gt a man of many... chickens

Jan 14, 2009
    Marshville NC
    Does the top open? Cleaning? Would be hard to get the eggs if not able to open it...

3. jforsness

jforsness Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    hmmmm, not too sure [​IMG]

Are there nests and perches?

Is the interior accessable to clean?

Is it large enough for the number of B's you want?

There are many considerations before you and your B's jump into a hen house! [​IMG]

4. 98 gt

98 gt a man of many... chickens

Jan 14, 2009
    Marshville NC
    Also will need to paint it, OSB tends to swell and come apart very easily.

5. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    the door looks big, your in ohio, just make sure they have plenty of shelter from wind rain snow and such

6. TillinWithMyPeeps

TillinWithMyPeeps Waiting for Spring...

Aug 22, 2008
    Ohio
    OK, Wait! Wait! Wait!

It was originally a dog house, I am making some modifications to make it Chicken friendly.

I plan to make the roof open-able

It is 4x4 which should be enough for the 4 hens I want (They will also have run access)

I am going to paint it the day I get it.

And, I plan to add nests and perches.

I also plan on putting something over the top part of the door to make it smaller.

This is a project, and not a complete coop, I will have to work on it, but, I thought this would be a great start.

7. GardeNerd

GardeNerd Chillin' With My Peeps

It has good possibilities. I am firm believer in recycling and reusing. I would do it, but I also just got a free rabbit hutch off craigslist that I will add more onto to make into a tractor.

How is the price? If it is significant less than the materials would cost new, I would try. If it is about the same or close, it might not be worth the hassle of altering. Sometimes those kinds of projects can take longer than the ones you build from scratch. Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by