My Gals Won't, Or Don't Sleep In The Coop!!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ALVIEMAN, Dec 1, 2011.

1. ALVIEMAN

ALVIEMAN Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2011
    SAINT CLAIR, MO
    NOT REAL SURE WHAT KINDA' GALS I GOT, ONE IS A BIG RED ONE, TWO GRAYISH AND TWO KIND OF GOLD. ANYWAY, IT HAS BEEN CHILLY AND RAINY A COUPLE OF DAYS, AND DOWN IN THE UPPER TWENTIES AT NIGHT. MY GIRLS PREFER TO SLEEP ON A BRACE/ROOST IN THIER RUN. THE RUN IS 5' BY 8', 4' HIGH WITH A TARP COVERING HALF THE TOP, BY THE COOP. THE ROOST THEY SLEEP ON IS RIGHT AT THE EDGE OF THE TARP. I KNOW THEY GET WET, AND THE WIND IS COLD. THEY LAY IN THE COOP, RUN IN WHEN THE DOG GETS NEAR THE RUN. THEY USED TO SLEEP IN THERE WHEN IT WAS FIRST BUILT IN LATE SPRING. I PLAN ON COVERING THE WHOLE RUN, EXCEPT THE GATED END IN HEAVY PLASTIC. ARE THEY GONNA EVENTUALLY GO IN THE COOP?? IS IT O.K. FOR THEM TO SLEEP BASICALLY OUTSIDE?? FROM WHAT I HEAR, WHAT THEY DO USUALLY IS GONNA BE O.K. IF THE NEED TO GO IN THEY WILL. JUST WORRIED BOUT MY GALS..............[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. LN2008

LN2008 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2011
    Larryville, KS
    Do what I did and lock them in there for a night with some treats. They'll get the hint. [​IMG]

3. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    YUP, I would lock them in for a couple of days so they know it's their home. Cold wet birds = sick birds. Herd them in at night and lock them up.

4. Katydid2011

Katydid2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    West Coast USA
    Quote:Agreed! Also, when chickens sleep they're virtually comatose and therefore completely vulnerable to predators. I've heard horror stories of racoons reaching right in and pulling a sleeping chickens head through the tiniest of holes. I don't know what your set-up looks like but most runs aren't close to predator proof for nighttime.

5. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    I do not have coops but do have run under roost areas and still most of my birds sleep in the trees or the pallet roost outside all year round and they are just fine.
    [​IMG]
    I know in some place critters are real bad and the birds need a secure coop but my dogs keep an eye on things so i do not have to worry about wild critters messing with my birds.

6. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    Quote:Looks like a meeting of the Animal Farm members [​IMG] Wonder what those guys are planning...

7. LN2008

LN2008 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2011
    Larryville, KS
    Quote:Looks like a meeting of the Animal Farm members [​IMG] Wonder what those guys are planning...

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by