my game bird just layed her first egss!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Red jungle fowl88, Jan 19, 2010.

1. Red jungle fowl88

Red jungle fowl88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Well i went out to the coop and i found a Egg about a week ago, there was 5 hens in there so i didnt know whos it was. I sepreated them into spereate pens and monday i found two eegs in my Kelso hens nest!!!! yaaay im so happy i have two eggs right now. I cant wait. This is my first year with chickens and im not sure what to expect. Im going to let her hatch her eggs and not put them in a incubator. what should i expect next? how many more may she lay? in how long will she be broody and ready to sit on her eggs? should i keep the eggs until she goes broady or let her take care of them?

2. Germaine_11.20

Germaine_11.20 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    [​IMG]

3. Red jungle fowl88

Nov 8, 2009
    [​IMG]

4. chickenlover54

chickenlover54 Henely Hatchery

May 20, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    she may not go broody, the eggs are only good for 10 days. If you do have an incubator I suggest putting them in there if you want them to hatch. What type of roo do you have?

5. chickeypeep101

chickeypeep101 the Awesome Pullet

Jul 23, 2009
    On a horse!
    Yes if you have an incubator you should put them in, since there is no guarantee she will go broody.

6. Red jungle fowl88

Nov 8, 2009
    chicken lover i have a 1/4 Spanish and 3/4 Kelso Rooster. I didnt want to put them in a incubator becouse i dont know how the proces works on tha can somebody explain how that works.

7. chickenlover54

chickenlover54 Henely Hatchery

May 20, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    Quote:Okay lets go through the basics

21 day incubation period
    99.5* (get a thermometer)
    if you do not have a egg turner than turn them manually 2wice a day
    last three days stop turning them
    add water in a dish or some incubators have canal type things under the wire, what type of incubator do you have?
    keep humidity atleast above 30% and last three days keep around 65%
    candle on day 10 in a dark room with a flashlight, if you see darkness it is growing, if it is clear then toss it.

hope that helps, just let me know if you need more help [​IMG]

8. Red jungle fowl88

Nov 8, 2009
    Quote:Okay lets go through the basics

21 day incubation period
    99.5* (get a thermometer)
    if you do not have a egg turner than turn them manually 2wice a day
    last three days stop turning them
    add water in a dish or some incubators have canal type things under the wire, what type of incubator do you have?
    keep humidity atleast above 30% and last three days keep around 65%
    candle on day 10 in a dark room with a flashlight, if you see darkness it is growing, if it is clear then toss it.

hope that helps, just let me know if you need more help [​IMG]

What do you mean candle on day10 in a dark room with a flashlight candle on day 10 in a dark room with a flashlight, if you see darkness it is growing, if it is clear then toss it??

How do you turn the eggs what dirrection?

9. australorp_breeder

australorp_breeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    California
    CONGRATS!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That is the biggest amout of icons I've ever used in one post, lol! New record! I was telling someone earlier (when I had used three icons) that that was my biggest xD Yes, I actually took the time to edit this because I didn't like the order that the icons showed up. lol.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by