my gander is bleeding from his leg help please

Discussion in 'Geese' started by ducklover87, Nov 19, 2013.

1. ducklover87

ducklover87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2012
    I went outside a few minutes ago and noticed one of my embden ganders limping. Which was odd so I took a closer look and it was bleeding bad. I brought him inside and have him in the tub. I'm not sure what happened to his leg at all. Its not broken he can use it but not very well. Its like a piece of his skin is coming off. I will try to get a pic of it. Its really cold here in upstate NY and I was wondering would it be possible that he hit off something and broke the skin open? I know people can do this so I was wondering if it could be possible with geese. Or could my other gander of done it maybe? It sucks I have to work in a few hrs but at least is only a 4 hr shift today. Like I said I have him in a bath right now. Once he is out I'm going to take a few pictures and put them up. Its really swollen too.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    What about a pred? something may have tried to grab him. Has the bleeding stopped? do you have Veterycin spray? good stuff because you don't have to touch the wou nd just spray the heck out of it unless you feel it needs to be stitched? you can also wash with a saline using warm water and salt mixed real good then let it run over the wound till cleaned real good. I'd keep her inside at least today.

3. ducklover87

Aug 7, 2012
    No there's no way it was a predator. Too windy for any birds to be flying so that knocks out any day time predators. It has almost stopped bleeding. Ive been applying pressure to his wounds. I think maybe he got his leg caught somehow maybe. I have no clue he was fine this morning when I let him out. Its basically stopped bleeding so I'm going to get him out of the tub and take a few pics.

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    as cold as it is he could have just rubbed up against something like you said. I'm glad the bleeding has stopped.

5. ducklover87

Aug 7, 2012
    [​IMG] this is the bruise on his toe. [​IMG] [​IMG] these two pics are from what I'd call his ankle. That first joint above the foot. It looks like there's a blood pocket below the surface and there's a tear in the skin. [​IMG] this last one is on the joint right before his leg attaches to his body and since he is keeping it held up its hard to get a good picture of it but it looks like skin has been peeled off and there's a blood pocket under the skin on this one too.

6. ducklover87

Aug 7, 2012
    Right it was what I was thinking but now seeing how there is a couple spots I'm wondering if thats the case or not. But after dealing with my duck Cheese I feel a lot better about helping uncle waldo get fixed up and recover.

ETA: do you think I should wrap it to keep it from bleeding everywhere? I was thinking it'd be best to wrap them up.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
  7. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Could he have stepped into something and actually got the leg caught? to have wounds top and bottom makes me think so. and what about walking preds? you don't think? I'm not sure if you should dress those wounds that look to have a blood pocket since your going to leave I'd hate for him to chew and start bleeding and you not be there. Wheres Iain Utah she has delt with things like this with her gander Spirit having surgeries.. I'll see if I can locate her.

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    No ones on line, I think to play it safe I'd wrap to keep him from messing with them, just be careful if using vet wrap over bandage to make sure it doesn't wrap to tight.

9. ducklover87

Aug 7, 2012
    Alright thanks. No during the day there is no walking preds. At night oh yes but not the day thank goodness.I'm thinking he might of stepped in something but I'm really unsure of what. I have no clue what this trouble maker could of gotten into. I'm thinking your right. I might put some wraps on when I get back from work at 8. I have the next 2 days off so it should work out OK.

10. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Let me know how it goes please. might want to take a walk around you may see some blood and be able to figure it out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by