My Gander is limping, any advice

Discussion in 'Geese' started by r4eboxer, Mar 14, 2012.

1. r4eboxer

r4eboxer Crooked Creek Poultry

Sep 20, 2011
    Fairmont
    One of my Ganders was chased by my pups and now he is limping really bad to the point where he can almost not walk. I went outside to get him to put him in one of the breeding pens with a house but he started running away ( well limping) and I didn't want to make things worse so I left him alone.

What should I do? Should I wait it out and see if it gets better with some time? It is breeding season so I'm worried if I pen him his mate will go nuts. I could put her in with him but I'm not sure which goose is his mate for sure. I'd have to catch the other pair doing the deed to be sure.

2. r4eboxer

Sep 20, 2011
    Fairmont
    I ran home on my lunch and my other gander was on top of my injured gander biting his neck and pulling out feathers. When I have help tonight I will round him up and put him in the pen. I know who his mate is now. It's Catherine, William is the one that's is hurt. The ganders look so much alike I had to wait to see which pair was hanging around together and which goose was the loner.

3. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

When you catch him, make sure to give him a good going over. Look for any swelling or breaks. Check his feet, make sure all the joints move properly... you get idea.

4. r4eboxer

Sep 20, 2011
    Fairmont
    Thanks for the reply I was wondering if anyone knew what to do. He is doing better. He sat on the eggs for a full day and now the limp is 50% better. I put water beside him (but no food cause I wanted him off the nest, i needed the eggs he was sitting on) now he is keeping up with the other geese and eating and drinking just as good as the others. I think in a few days he will get better. I feel like it must have been a sprain.

Again thanks for taking time to offer advice, I will check him over if I feel like I can capture him without causing him to run and reinjure

5. mominoz

mominoz Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    North Georgia
    I have occasionally had a goose limp with not discernible injury or foot problem, but I do live on a rocky farm and there are occasionally roots, pine cones, and stupid sweet gum balls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    They seem to gradually get better, especially if confined a bit with a small pool. I had a female who was always occasionally limping, I think she just had weaker legs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by