My gazebo - uhh I mean chicken coop...

pbjmaker

Crowing
11 Years
May 9, 2008
Central Iowa
This is our chicken coop so far. We had torn down a gazebo last summer at an apartment complex that had gone low income. The neighborhood kids were destroying it so we got to take it for free ( It was still pretty sound- just needed a few repairs)

Anyhow - then I found chickens. I was determined to keep the cost of the coop down since I just quit my job so I can student teach this school year. So I forfieted my gazebo for the chickens - oh the sacrifices we make...

So here is what we have so far. We have only spent about $40 for hinges/shingles and one sheet of plywood. It will have cedar siding that was on the gazebo and then painted black and white to match the house/garage/shed. The nest box is made out of an old cabinet we had and the doors are the "shutters" for the windows. It will have a linoleum floor.
I am trying to get my 16 year old artist to make a mural for the doors. I told him he could put it in a portfolio. He just groaned at me.

I'm just glad the chickens can't read - there is still some pretty graphic graffitti on the inside.

Some of the junk we started with:

10160_dscn1387.jpg

Lemon-aide - Hot Dogs anyone?

10160_dscn1476.jpg

It was like putting a puzzle together:

10160_dscn1493.jpg

10160_dscn1490.jpg

Wow, u started with straight up junk and it actually looks decent!!! We started with a 16x8 premade shed, then had to move it 35 miles and reassemble it. Doesn't look NEAR as good as that!!!

I am impressed, your material didn't look like much from the picture, but you succeed in turning into a great place for your chickens.
smile.png

Thanks - there was some more stuff off to the side. The walls were mostly made from the roof of the gazebo which was 8 large triangles. We still need to side it and paint it and will also probably insulate and panel the inside. Even though they haven't been formally introduced to the coop - we left the liitle door open and I found "evidence" that someone was checking it out.
big_smile.png
Sneaky chickens! I hope to have it done by next weekend along with their "pen".

That is some awesome recycling/reuse going on there. Tell your hubbub what a super job he's done. I like the Dutch-door coverings for the front.

Personally I wish you'd left the graffitti on the outside and added a clear coat. You could always tell folks the chickens did it!

Last edited:
Quote:
I need to change my sig line...

Actually I only have two of the original 4 chicks. I now have a 5 day old Ameraucana and 9 D'Uccles since the Amerecuana (I will remember some day the correct spelling) was lonely. The two older ones are a RIR and a Polish X Calico Cat.

Back
Top Bottom