My Geese are afraid of their new pool

Discussion in 'Geese' started by annamcdani, Oct 12, 2013.

1. annamcdani

annamcdani Out Of The Brooder

Oct 12, 2013
    I have two Chinese Brown Geese. Two males. Recently I purchased a stock tank for them. Its 2 1/2 feet tall and 6 feet in diameter. They were using a small kiddy pool. I built a ramp and also put some blocks inside the tank to aide them in getting in and out. I was so excited but when they were introduced they panicked. They wanted out. Now they walk up the ramp but just stare at the water. It has only been about a day. Do you think they will want to use the new pool? Or is it too overwhelming. They have used a small kiddy pool for two years. Any suggestions?

2. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

I would let them stare at it for at least a week before worrying that they won't like it.

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Do you have an open door policy for the small rodents that call your house home for the winter Alaskan? And I agree Geese don't like change so it will take time for them to get use to their new pool.

4. The goose girl

The goose girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Denmark
    It took my previous goose six weeks to try out her new pool. No amount of treats could convince her to enter the water. The one I have now, she just jumps right into anything with water in it. She's only afraid of spiders ...

1 person likes this.
  5. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    That's funny spiders, I just set up the stock tank for my flock down closer to the house now that the leaves are coming down they don't like going in the big pool up top, so far 2 ducks have been in and both geese have walked up the ramp and look in, and this has just been in the last couple of hours. It take the geese longer to accept things than any of my other flock members.

1 person likes this.
  6. annamcdani

Oct 12, 2013
    They are in their Pool right now. They love it. I just kept hanging out with them by pool splashing the water and they couldn't resist! Yayayyyyyyyy

7. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Awesome now we need some pics of them splashing around! [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 13, 2013
  8. annamcdani

Oct 12, 2013

Splashing and Playing!

9. annamcdani

Oct 12, 2013

splashing and playing

10. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Looks like they have settled into their new pool just fine, and very handsome boys too. Great video.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by