my geese are LAYING....at this time of the year???

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Willjg, Dec 1, 2010.

1. Willjg

Willjg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2008
    Tuckerton
    Hey Everyone,

Ok, I had to post this. Last week I found my first goose egg from the Embdens that I raised that I got from Metzer Farms in the spring...I've never had geese lay at this time of the year before (when I had them years ago), so I figured it must be a fluke or something. But she keeps on laying! 2 more so far this week!!! Is this normal and or out of season, or typical for some goose breeds?

When my grandmother had geese when I was a kid, her geese did occasionally lay an egg or two in the fall, but never steadily.....So I'm kind of confused with this. Do any goose owners have any input or opinions on this?

Thanks & Take Care,
    Bill.

2. duck walk

duck walk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2009
    white springs, fl
    two of my White Chinese are laying now and have been for about three weeks...I don't think it is all uncommon for some to lay in the fall...I hatched out some Brown Chinas last fall from my very busy girls...

3. swheat

swheat The Bantam Barn

Mar 18, 2008
    Alabama
    My Coop
    The 2008-09 season my Sebastopols started laying the last week in November of 2008, which is very early for geese, last year(09-10) they were back on schedule laying in Jan 2010. In my case, I considered it out of season, because my gander were not yet fertile.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2010
  4. jack & mommy's duckies

jack & mommy's duckies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2010
    That is funny that you post this.........I've gotten 3 eggs now and i'm sure they are goose eggs. I'm pretty sure it isn't any of my ducks. They were laying a few weeks ago but stopped. One of my goosey girls has been pretty grump and protective this last 2 weeks and now 3 eggs have shown up this week. They are small (but each egg is getting larger each day)...kinda very large duck egg....and pretty much white. So I"m only guessing that it is princess bella that is doing it. I'm just eating them...I'll bator them in the spring. My geese are from a hatch in April 2010. And they are my first geese.

5. Willjg

Willjg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2008
    Tuckerton
    Thank You to Everyone for replying to this! :)

Honestly, I thought I was kind of going crazy, or at least that my geese were LOL. But when I started finding eggs in their pen I could not believe it. I kept wondering why, so thats why I had to post this here. I just had to know if other goose owners were also having any of their geese laying at this time of year.

I figured the gander must not be fully mature yet, but there are definitely eggs. I don't want to try hatching any goslings right now, but I still find it a mystery. I just never knew geese to lay like this before. Maybe the climate is affecting them, or its just some other random effect? Whatever the reason it definitely is interesting.

Thanks Again!
    Bill.

6. 2468Chickensrgr8

2468Chickensrgr8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    Ontario
    I am a first timer at this also ...All my waterfowl were hatched out this past spring .....one or two of my muscovies have been laying for the past week ....
    I had mentioned this to a waterfowl friend and he asked me what I feed do for them in a day ....find out that since it has been getting darker earlier I have been turning the duck/goose coop light on inside to intise the birds inside after dark ...because they dont go into the coop like my lovely well behaved chickens ....[​IMG].....and that is when I feed them WITH the light on while I continue on with all the other outside chores about an hour and then I turn the light off ....He said that could be it that They 're getting extra " sunlight "......I still do it because i want them to eat and get a drink as i cannot feed them outside the coop as the chickens/pig /dogs will eat the food .....

7. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    I'm waiting on my first egg from my 8 month old brown chinese goose from Metzer Farms. I'm getting a little impatient. [​IMG]

8. vebyrd36

vebyrd36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2010
    New Ringgold Pa
    I'm over run with goose eggs. I think they forgot it is cold. I have a Bator full of eggs. Now we are going to let one go broody in the barn.

9. lilchick

lilchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Williamsport In.
    My white chinese goose has starting laying again.. It has been down in the teens here at night but she pays no mind.. Today I watched her fluff her nest and set in it. After dark I went out and dug thru the leaves and pulled out the egg! It is going into the bator. I have seen them mating so hopefully it will be fertile.

10. bryleighs_gmal

bryleighs_gmal Out Of The Brooder

Nov 28, 2010
    TN.
    mine are nuts anyway.. all of my geese was laying at this time of the season an are again this yr. dont understand it ..glad its not just mine:p

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by