1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My geese attacked my....Pics geese added

Discussion in 'Geese' started by luvchicks8, Jan 18, 2011.

1. luvchicks8

luvchicks8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    Favorite rooster all 4 geese were biting pecking at him. My poor baby Colonol I ran down when I heard strange noises from the geese thinking flock was in trouble. They were the trouble I had to pull one goose off my rooster, He has a large gash on top of his head. Why would they suddenly do this they have been free ranging together 6 months?? I am thinking of rehoming all four geese.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
  2. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    My guess is because its breeding season and he, the rooster, is consider an interloper. They consider him a threat to the "ladies" and they don't want him around. Is there some way you can separate the geese from the chickens? It really isn't the geese's fault. It's nature and its in their DNA to reproduce and this is the season for breeding.

I would see if you can find a place to keep the geese in a separate area so that they can mate and raise young, if that's what you want. But regardless, this is the time of year that they get moody.

Laurie

3. luvchicks8

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    Quote:Oh that's good to know:) This is my first time with geese so I had no idea. I will definatly seperate them now. Now I feel stupid [​IMG]

4. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    I agree with TennesseeTruly. If you like the geese, I would just keep the roo away and in a safe place.

5. TennesseeTruly

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    Quote:Oh that's good to know:) This is my first time with geese so I had no idea. I will definatly seperate them now. Now I feel stupid [​IMG]

Don't feel stupid, we all have to learn. I was asking questions a few years ago too. Its great that we have this forum to come to and get the help we need so ask away!

Laurie

6. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    I'll bet that rooster is glad you are finding this out..... [​IMG]

7. luvchicks8

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    I bet he is too [​IMG] I agree this forum has helped me many times over:)

8. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    By the way, what kind of geese are they?

9. luvchicks8

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    D'Angelo N Va. :

By the way, what kind of geese are they?

2 male talouse ganders
    1 female goose
    1 pilgram goose

Here is Goose Goose, Bella, Bonnie Goose oh and there 2 adoptees Toot and Puddles my runner ducks [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is Bonnie Goose my Pilgrim
    [​IMG]

Here is all 4
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
  10. TennesseeTruly

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    Awwww I [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] them all! Even the Runners who I definitely have a fondness for!

Laurie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by