1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My geese hate me

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Wespum, Sep 11, 2016.

1. Wespum

Wespum New Egg

Sep 11, 2016
    So about maybe 6 months ago, I got 3 baby goslings. We named them Fruitcake, (top gosling) shortbread, (the sweet one) and Gumdrop. (the not so smart one)They were the cutest little things ever and very affectionate. Although my mom and I both took care of them, they seemed to like me best and would stay up all night crying for me. When I'd come downstairs they'd peep like I was their savior. As they grew up, they grew less affectionate,but still enjoyed laying on my legs and whatnot on the grass while my mom pulled weeds in the garden. But once all their fuzz had disappeared and I had to start going to work,cutting down on my time to spend with them,they started becoming very aggressive. Fruitcake started going after me on occasion and biting at my legs and rain boots. From this we decided fruitcake was obviously a gander. My mom had assumed that it was my polka-dot rain boots and bright orange garden gloves and perhaps the bright red bowl I was bringing out the the blackberry bushes every other day to pick them, since they already have an aversion to the orange kiddie pool we drag around so they can swim,as well and the green lawn seat. So I stopped showing them any colorful or large items and bought a pair of black rain boots, careful to avoid any signs of aggression towards fruitcake. Then shortbread began to get very unruly, stealing food from the garden even when she knew it wasn't allowed. Now, recently, she has started attacking me, too. The other day, she latched onto my boots with her beak and started beating me with her wings. Any time I try to go in there to change their food or water, they charge at me. Having severe anxiety, I freak out and run away crying every time. Gumdrop is very reserved and sweet still, but I dont want the other two teaching her this is OK. They still treat my mom with respect. Why do they hate me? How do I teach them that this isn't OK? They used to love me the best, now they won't even let me into the pen. I just want to know how to regain their respect.

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    :welcome!

So, it sounds like you likely have two ganders, or Shortbread is a female and has determined through watching you back down from Fruitcake that you are low in the hierarchy and she can attack and dominate you too. You should check out the post in the stickies at the top of the geese forums about how to deal with this. It also sounds like they imprinted on you, which is not a great idea with ganders for exactly the reasons you are experiencing. You will need to show them that you are dominant and not to be attacked as is explained in the sticky. Running away is not helping. You are backing down and teaching them that they are dominant and they are going to keep doing it.

Also, your goose does not know it is 'not allowed' to eat food out of the garden. If there is tasty food available to them they will eat it. Put up a fence if you don't want them in there eating your produce.

Here's the sticky thread for you to read through. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/561849/geese-training#post_7245388

Last edited: Sep 11, 2016
  3. Wespum

Wespum New Egg

Sep 11, 2016
    Thank you so much...after reading the advice in that thread, I took my geese out one by one. When fruitcake and shortbread started to stick their necks out in that intimidating way, I raised my arms and hissed, approaching them. They got the message pretty quick and didn't even challenge me- I didn't realize it was so easy! Now I just need to keep it up when they try to challenge me, I suppose. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by