My Geese love their Hay

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Miss Lydia, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    As suggested I bought a bale of Timothy hay for my 2 geese, and although it took them a few days to nibble and see if they like it I'd say today they love it, Can [​IMG]

[​IMG]

they eat too much? They can't get an impacted crop from eating too much can they?

Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I can't imagine they would get an impacted crop from the way you are offering the hay.

I should do this for my girls (and boy) :D Not sure where to get Timothy hay though.

3. Iain Utah

Iain Utah Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2011
    My goodness, what cute pictures!!!! [​IMG]

There is no such thing as too much hay. They should have access to grit, but I know you already provide that.

4. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast

5. aoxa

I just posted an ad on Kijiji for grassy hay/Timothy hay.

All I see available is horse hay. :confused:

Don't know much about the stuff. Not sold at farm stores is it?

6. Iain Utah

Dec 17, 2011
    If you want to buy in bulk for most cost effective, you want grass horse hay. Most of your bigger feed stores carry single horse hay bales. Otherwise, you can get little rabbit timothy hay bags at walmart or pet stores.

7. aoxa

It's so pricy that way isn't it? My rabbits ate an entire bag of the stuff overnight. I have pigs disguised as rabbits. :rolleyes:

What should the grass horse hay look like?

8. Iain Utah

Dec 17, 2011
    Funny stuff about your rabbits' good appetite. Since I feed 100 lbs of hay per day for my horses, I absolutely cringe at the prices on those little rabbit bags. Horse small bales usually range between 60-80lbs. It should be dark green in color, soft to the touch, and have a sweet smell. Stay away from alfalfa.

9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I found horse hay at my feed store but it had molasses and veg, oil in it to make it stick together, It was a blend of alfalfa/ oat and timothy. is it okay to feed this kind of hay? The small bale I got at Walmart was 12.99 but It was all I could find and wanted to see if they would even eat it before looking for anymore. And yes they have grit. I had hung it outside so they would get use to it, well it's suppose to rain tomorrow so i moved it back inside their house and Sammy already found it so no worried about them not finding it anymore. Celtic i see a difference in Sammy daily, He can even be around his mama duck now with out cutting Missy off, they are a pair and haven't even mated yet. [​IMG] So sweet. They did kill a cardinal in the yard today and Missy had feathers in her mouth. I think it came into eat some feed and it got too close.

10. Iain Utah

Dec 17, 2011
    Miss Lydia, I called your Asheville Southern States store. They carry 50lb timothy/orchard hay bales for $6.75 each, which would be perfect for your geese.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by