1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My Gift from Julie

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by marie_martin, May 29, 2007.

1. marie_martin

marie_martin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2007
    Grenada, MS
    I am Egg Sitting for Julie (juliechickens) while she goes on vacation and she paid me in what else, CHICKENS! They are silkies. Two are cuckoo, one looks like partridge and two are white. The partridge is a little older, but the rest are 7 weeks. One white one is going through a rough stage I think, no feathers and not much fluff left. Bless it's heart. Could it be a roo with the slow feathering gene that I have read about. I think that is what I read. Of the two whites that one has the bigger comb but still not much of one and no wattles. The partridge is older and larger as you can see and not much of a comb there either. I can't tell on the two cuckoo ones at all, they are about the same, pretty small combs. Any clues? Thanks. What a gift huh? I am going to introduce them to my others over the next couple of days and see how well they take it. Not in the same area at first but eventually combine them. That is until I can sex them and know who is who. Any suggestions? I know, I know. With silkies you have to wait till they crow or lay an egg. I am also going to add a couple of pics of my 5 week old silkies. Gotta love em.

marie

new silkies:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

my 5 week olds:

Silkie:
    http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i162/marie_martin/P5070119.jpg
    Sizzle:
    http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i162/marie_martin/P5070112.jpg
    Salmon Faverolle (pullet):
    http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i162/marie_martin/P5070110.jpg

2. Judymae

Judymae Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2007
    Merit, Tx
    Aren't they just beautiful! I can't wait for my silkie to get here. Two more days left!

3. Queen of the Lilliputians

Queen of the Lilliputians Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2007
    Maine
    I don't know anything about silkies, but wow are they beautiful!

Wish someone I knew would pay me in chickens to chicken sit! That must rock!

Good luck with your new babies! I especially like the barred one. Beautiful!

Meghan

4. marie_martin

Feb 21, 2007
    Grenada, MS
    There are two barred one, the other one beside it is trying to hide but it is barred as well. I love silkies too. They do go through some strange looks for a while though until they are fully feathered. I thought my sizzle was funny looking until I saw these guys, especially the white ones. Julie, if you are reading this, I mean that in the nicest most loving way possible. At this stage they are kids only a mom could love and I love them already. Thanks. Good luck with your silkies Judymaye. Thanks Meghan.

Marie

5. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    SCORE! Good for you Marie, now you have some nice barred ones from different blood lines.

It is always nice to get chicks it takes the guess work out of the hatching part.

They should be intergrated easily. I added two groups yesterday without much more than a momentary stand off. Then they were all running around like they has always been together. There was only about 3 weeks difference in age except two were about 5 weeks older. All is well, I have Moa, my Silkie Rooster in there being the Nanny. All his hens are brooding so he is sort of bored during the day without any company.

6. JamieandShady

JamieandShady Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2007
    Oak Hill TX
    I want a silkie! (or two...)

7. marie_martin

Feb 21, 2007
    Grenada, MS
    That partridge one is a little older and is playing mama hen. I think it is a pullet. All the others get under that one and huddle. It is too cute. Any ideas on the lack of feathers on the white ones, especially the one with none on its neck and back? Is that pretty normal. I think the white ones are about 5 weeks as well as the cuckoo ones. The partridge is a little older 6-7 weeks. Thanks guys. I feel lucky. Thanks Julie.

Marie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by