My girl bleeding from bottom.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Sanleepepe1, Nov 1, 2016.

1. Sanleepepe1

Sanleepepe1 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 28, 2015
    The happy hen ( not so happy today ) found her trying to pass broken egg shell with a lot of blood and liquid I assisted the poor girl, she also is still growing feathers from molting through winter. (were in New Zealand) still eating and drinking, tomorrow in the Am will check her and perhaps give her a warm bath since reading up on it here.. any other ideas.. please

2. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

It sounds like your poor girl may be bleeding from the eggshell that broke inside her. A vet would be best at this point. If that's not an option, and you haven't already, you'll want to try to carefully get the broken shell out to help prevent infection; in the thread referenced below, @threehorses says "flush her vent with cool (not warm) water - use a baby's ear syringe or turkey baster."

In the same thread, @chickenzoo advises another poster with a similar situation that "you will need to put her on an antibiotic, since the egg has broken inside her and can cut up her insides and cause infection. Baytril is often used, but is a vet RX. Warm baths, keeping her hydrated, mineral oil down the vent and offering scrambled eggs or warm canned dog food to keep up her strength. If she does not eat put some egg pieces in her mouth. Vitamins in her water also until you can get some meds. I had a hen treated at the vet before and it was like $30 but it depends on the vet. They had to break the egg in her and then I did what was mentioned above and treated her with Baytril." https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/233191/help-broken-egg-inside-hen-shes-really-sick

Best of luck - hope your hen feels better soon.

3. Sanleepepe1

Sanleepepe1 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 28, 2015
    Thank you for the response, I'm happy to report (Gretta) the hen is much better the shell or what was left is out, she rather enjoyed the warm Barth, she is now the best looking hen after the blow dry and was quite happy to have a rest in the sun purring. [​IMG]

4. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

That's great news. Thanks for the update!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by