My girl died today from MItes

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mg15, Feb 1, 2015.

1. mg15

mg15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2012
    How much of the Ivermectin to use on each girl?
    TSC also has Fronline in the drops. How much of that would I use? It is the drops 9.28 percent. Way more than the spray Frontline.
    This is too much. A year of fighting them.
    Help! Please.

mg
    I have the Pour on Ivermectin 5%. solution. HOw should I use ?
    I figured it and this is what I did.

.05ml=1lbs bird

.1ml= 2lbs bird

.15ml=3lbs bird

.2ml= 4lbs bird

.25ml=5lbs bird

.3ml= 6lbs bird

I will check tonite for activity of the horrible mites.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  2. cypressdrake

cypressdrake Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2012
    Thibodaux, Louisiana.
    I would wait a day and see if they clear up. If not repeat with a small dose. Those figures look good.

3. mg15

Aug 22, 2012
    Hi,
    I checked them yesterday and they are still loaded.
    Thank you for replying.
    I talked to a veternairan from the valley vet.com to ask him about the Elector PSP. He suggested I use the Atroban 11% EC.
    That is to arrive today. We will spray them with the Atroban. I am apprehensive about the use of this on them.
    Do you know if there is egg withdrawl using the Atroban. ?
    I have a call into the FARAD.org. Food Animal Residue Avoidance and Depletion site.
    I hope they call, so far I cannot find out withdrawl period.

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Sorry you lost her... The pour on ivermectin is actually 0.05% (5mg/ml), not 5% (50mg/ml) and think the pour on dose is .5mg/kg, which is 0.045ml per pound.

1 pound would get - 0.0454ml
    2 pounds would get - 0.09ml
    3 pounds would get - 0.136ml
    4 pounds would get - 0.18ml
    5 pounds would get - 0.227ml
    6 pounds would get - 0.272ml
    7 pounds would get - 0.318ml
    8 pounds would get - 0.363ml
    9 pounds would get - 0.409ml
    10 pounds would get - 0.454ml
    11 pounds would get - 0.5ml

-Kathy

Edited to add:
    Quote: Quote:

Last edited: Feb 3, 2015
  5. mg15

Aug 22, 2012
    Hi, I just received the call from UCDavis, FARAD. org and there is NO withdrawl of eggs for chickens using the Atroban 11% EC used as directed on the label.
    I am so relieved. We do strive to give them only ORGANIC but I have to do something.
    I will report how this goes and if the MITES retreat and surrender.

1 person likes this.
  6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    @mg15 , of course your rounded up ivomec numbers are fine, I was just being OCD. [​IMG] [​IMG]

-Kathy

7. mg15

Aug 22, 2012
    Thank you very much Kathy.!!

8. mg15

Aug 22, 2012
    @casportpony I really like OCD when it come to animal welfare.[​IMG]

9. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    By the time Ivermectin has any affect at all, it does nothing to stop eggs from hatching, and those mites living on and off the host in the environment continue to reproduce. Ivermectin is worthless for use in poultry, and always has been.

People can feel good about themselves living a pipe dream of embrace with the planet, using all sorts of organic compounds too, but if ectoparasites can develop resistance to some insecticides, they can overcome organic methods of pest control that much more. And they have, which is why science provides the research into compounds necessary to combat parasites. People may feel good about themselves using OMRI certified snake oil, but consider how the chicken feels getting sucked dry by hundreds of thousands of blood sucking arthropods, while those feel good organic methods aren't worth the packaging they are sold in.

When an outbreak of mites is reaching the point to where they are actually killing birds, the keeper of poultry better find another hobby not involving the responsibility animal husbandry requires. It is either that or start doing the research required to prevent these problems:

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ig140

Mites can multiply fast in the right conditions, and I don't mean to sound like a grouch, but the redundancy of misinformation all over the internet is annoying when it comes to preventing/removing parasites in regard to poultry. Paying attention to the birds, routinely looking them over and observing behavior will prevent many problems in the future if one is practices the right preventative methods, and is equipped with the remedies to act when problems begin to surface.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2015
    2 people like this.
  10. mg15

Aug 22, 2012
    @michaelapple , Hi, well I will report progress in my efforts in applying the atroban.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by