My girl died!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kesali, May 8, 2011.

1. kesali

kesali Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    far northern Wisconsin
    Wednesday I received 15 fuzzy butts from Meyer. The second day one of the partirdge rocks came down with pasty butt. [​IMG] I worked with her, following the directions you helpful people have given on BYC. Today the little girl died in spite of my efforts. Don't get me wrong, this is not a snark against Meyer. They sent me exactly what I ordered, fifteen little chicks and they all arrived alive and kicking and I would never hesitate to order from them again. I blame myself for the little girl's death. It's just that people don't understand. A month ago I had to put down my black lab that has been with us for thirteen years. When I mentioned it to someone in town, he said, "So what? It's just a dog!" Yes, this little chicken was just a little fuzzy butt, one out of of fifteen. But I miss her! Only chicken people understand. [​IMG]

2. Anianna

Anianna Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    N/E of Richmond, VA
    Just a dog?? Don't mind him, he was just a heartless fool.

[​IMG]

3. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    Pets are family! Sorry for your losses.

4. Sorin

Sorin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Glenfield, ny
    [​IMG] So sorry to hear about your dog and your baby chick [​IMG] I know what your going through.

Last edited: May 8, 2011
  5. AZSummer

AZSummer Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    I am sorry for your loss. It's a testament to your character, though, that you felt the loss of "just a dog" and "just a little fuzzy butt." Don't lose that.

6. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Some people can be so unkind. [​IMG] You love all your babies, and who is he to say a thing like that?! [​IMG] Animals are so special. I'm so sorry you lost your lab, and your sweet little girl. [​IMG]

7. GhostRider65

GhostRider65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    NE Wisconsin
    I do understand, what I don't understand is people who think pets of any sort are just an animal, do these people have no pets? did they ever have any pets of any kind?
    were they the kids who tortured there hamsters, gerbils to death poked the eyes out of frogs/ snakes and such?? What is wrong with these people??? Have they no heart/soul/ compassion? I will never understand these kinds of people. I understand large farmers who have 100's of animals and deal with death on a daily basis, they can only think of their animals as profit/loss, to do so in any other way would be torture to the overly kind soul, as it was for me when I worked at a large dairy, it killed me every time we lost a heifer/cow, no matter the reason for her death, the results were for me always the same. Though the owner seemed to care less, and was more worried about the profit loss than the sick or dieing animal?? I do understand that in a way, but could never be like them.
    I'm sorry you lost your little one, and your beloved puppy. I lost 4 in my order, and my order was screwed up besides, I cried my butt off over the DOA's and the 1 sick chick I could not get to eat or drink no matter how hard I tried to make her do so.
    Most of my animals have a forever home and are with me until they pass on from old age, in my 45 years I have lost to many pets to count, though if I sit down I can remember each and every 1, and I still tear up over all of them when I remember them and miss them still. Everyone says time is the healer, but for me even time does not heal it completely, I always remember and I always cry when I think of the loss in my life that can not be replaced or has been taken from me early before we had a chance to build many memories.
    So sorry about your little chicky wish they all made it, but the reality is some just don't no matter how hard we try to save them. [​IMG] [​IMG] Kim

Last edited: May 8, 2011
  8. earnhardtlvr

earnhardtlvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Hagerstown, MD
    I have a 14, a 12, and a 3 yr old dog...know I will b faced with "that day" sometime, but not thinking about it now...but we lost one of our 5 brahma's like 2 days after we got them from a local feed store and I cried and cried. So sorry for ur loss and like someone else said, it shows u have a heart and r a caring person...don't stop! [​IMG]

9. TheHalfWayCoop

TheHalfWayCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Campbellville Ontario
    Oh no! I'm so sorry your little girl passed on [​IMG] And your pup! People who don't understand these things aren't worth telling about in the first place. I completely agree that it's a great show of character on how you feel about and react to animals, and you're on the right side. Unfortunately not everyone is. I hope time will help with the sadness and you can enjoy the other 14 little fuzzy butts that you have.

[​IMG]

10. kidd42

kidd42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Valley Springs, Ca.
    So sorry you lost her. I always feel bad when I lose one, even if I only had a new chick for less then 24 hours, it's hard.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by