My girl got a "crop bra" today...she HATES it.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MarieNC, Nov 22, 2010.

1. MarieNC

MarieNC Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    And within an hour she had it up around her neck! Have to take her back in the morning to get another one put on a little differently so she can't get it off. But the poor little thing just hates the crop bra. She keeps backing herself up into the walls. I have her confined to a coop on her own right now, poor thing. Anyone ever have a crop bra on their chicken? Will she eventually get used to the thing or are there any handy dandy hints out there to make our lives easier?

2. silkydragon

silkydragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2009
    ohio valley
    what is a crop bra for do you have any pictures? lol i like seeing chickens in any cloths

3. allieloveschickens

allieloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    San Diego
    I've never heard of such a thing? What is the purpose of a crop bra? I would love to see pics too!

4. MarieNC

May 10, 2010
    I don't have a picture...it's vet wrap (the stretchy kind that sticks to itself) that went under her wings and around her neck and under the crop to lift it into a more correct position for proper emptying.

5. LaurelRidgeDreams

LaurelRidgeDreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2010
    Mountains of NC
    Quote:Interesting. What happened to cause the saggy crop?

6. MarieNC

May 10, 2010
    Quote:Interesting. What happened to cause the saggy crop?

The vet says she has too much sand in her crop, slowing down the digestive process. Her crop is quite distended and droopy. Fortunately it will rectify itself over time but she has to wear this crop bra. She is not a happy girl. I suspect the culprit is a new waterer I put in their run. With all of their dust baths it always seems to have sand in it, no matter how often I clean it. I've since tossed it and they're going to have to use the nipple waterer and drop waterer again.

7. LaurelRidgeDreams

LaurelRidgeDreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2010
    Mountains of NC
    Do you have pictures? If so, it would be interesting to see them.

8. thaokou21

thaokou21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Arkansas
    I kinda know what your saying. When one of my hen had a big hole in her crop. I had to needle and thread her crop, and put some med on her. She kept picking on it so I use my shirt sleeve and made holes for the neck, wings and legs. she was still able to walk.lol. So basicely, it looked like a shirt on the chicken. I made sure she couldnt take it off by solding the bottom and leaving the tail and butt area. but after a weeks and half, she was fine and back to normal. I was able to take it off.

9. CarolAnn

CarolAnn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2010
    Kansas
    Since sand sinks in water why would the waterer be the problem?? There's always rocks/gravel in my outside waterers but it's not a problem. It just sits on the bottom. Even dirt in the water pan sits on the bottom unless a chicken wades in it and stirs the water. Just trying to understand here.

10. MarieNC

May 10, 2010
    Quote:Perhaps my waterer is too shallow and the girls are getting some sand when they get the water. I don't know what else to attribute it to.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by