My girl had crop surgery today...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MarieNC, Nov 26, 2010.

1. MarieNC

MarieNC Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    And she had some sand and feathers in her crop! Apparently she ingested black feathers from one of my other chickens and they helped stop things up. She has had an inflated crop for a week and would not tolerate a crop bra - she kept rubbing it off by putting her crop on the ground and moving backward. I'm wondering if I will have to forever keep her away from the other girls now. I have read where feather ingestion is a sign of a calcium deficiency, but she has access to crushed oyster shells. Not sure what to do after I bring her home tomorrow. Anyone ever had a chicken who ate feathers? What is there to do about it? Thanks!

2. KCchickens

KCchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2010
    Fayette county, IL
    Well I'm not sure. I'm hoping another person comes on here with a
    good explanation, buy maybe some anti picking medicine on tw others feathers could help her stop. The medicine has a bitter taste to it. [​IMG]

3. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    some birds just eat feathers.....never had a problem though. usually a sign they need more protein and/or overcrowding or boredom........bump up protein level.

would guess sand is culprit more than feathers though

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by