My girl has a swollen abdomen.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Almichfarmgirl, Nov 20, 2013.

1. Almichfarmgirl

Almichfarmgirl Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2013
    Clinton, Connecticut
    My hen has a very swollen abdomen. Walks like a penguin. Has been eating and drinking. We isolated her from the others. Anyone here about e coli infections causing salpingitis in chickens? Any advice??? Hoping against hope.

2. Pathfinders

Pathfinders Overrun With Chickens

Jan 25, 2008
    Northern KY
    Swollen abdomen does not necessarily mean ecoli. In fact, I'd more likely think egg bound, or acites.

Has she been laying?

3. Almichfarmgirl

Nov 19, 2013
    Clinton, Connecticut
    No she has not. She has a cheesy white/green discharge from her cloaca. We started tetracycline in her water. What do you think?

4. Pathfinders

Jan 25, 2008
    Northern KY
    I think tetracycline is a not terribly effective antibiotic. I know it's easily available at the feed store, but I am not convinced it works well for poultry. [​IMG]

I also don't know that a discharge like that is indicative of a bacterial infection.

It's possible she is egg bound. There are a number of good threads here about egg bound treatment, try this one for a start: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/649595/egg-bound

Bottom line, I would try giving her a warm bath to see if that allows her to relax enough to pass an egg, and I would boost the calcium in her system, which can help as well. Does she have access to oyster shell free choice? You can always crush up a Tums and put it in some yogurt to get some extra calcium into her.

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Please understand this can only be guesswork. I agree, I'd definitely try approaching it as eggbound, though the discharge indicates that even if she is, there is something else going on. I would suggest reading up on internal laying and vent gleet.

I would probably finish the antibiotic you have started and give the baths, etc. for eggbound. Then I'd treat aggressively with a good probiotic to restore gut flora after the antibiotic, and also because she could have had a problem with that even before the antibiotic (see vent gleet.) I might try some human external cream for yeast, or I might try to get some Nystatin or equivalent, which is prescription, I believe; it is given orally and treats yeast infection . (It is what is given people for thrush in the mouth.)

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/79443/tell-me-about-your-internal-layers/80_20#post_6235380 (see esp. post 92)

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/639749/timeline-of-internal-laying-update/0_20

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/796143/is-this-vent-gleet/0_20#post_11482574

1 person likes this.
  6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
  7. Almichfarmgirl

Nov 19, 2013
    Clinton, Connecticut
    Thank you! I am unavailable at the moment to take other actions. I will try what you have advised. I didn't think that chickens liked to take baths. How will she react?

8. Pathfinders

Jan 25, 2008
    Northern KY
    Actually, if she is eggbound, a warm bath will be extremely soothing to her (once she gets into it) and she may well sigh with relief!

9. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    It's very easy to check for a stuck egg... Put on glove, lube finger and gently check inside vent. If she has an egg you'll be able to feel it, just have a look at some chicken anatomy pictures beforehand. If no egg, no point in giving bath. If egg, give human calcium pill, bath, too, that will help.

-Kathy

10. Almichfarmgirl

Nov 19, 2013
    Clinton, Connecticut
    Thanks for the advice. Going to the barn when I get. By the way, I am a newbie and this sight is great. Thanks for all the help. I will keep you posted.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by