My girl has diarea, and the others have rejected her from the flock

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 6girlslaying, Jan 22, 2010.

1. 6girlslaying

6girlslaying New Egg

Jan 22, 2010
    Don't know what to do. One of my RI reds has had very watery green droppings for about a week, now the other girls have rejected her and are starting to attack her. Should I try some meds in the water, isolate her? Any ideas? I feel horrible that her clan is abandoning her.

2. The Chickens' Maid

The Chickens' Maid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    CT
  3. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I think they're probably attacking her because she's an easy target.

4. 6girlslaying

6girlslaying New Egg

Jan 22, 2010
    Thank you for thread, that is exactly what is going on, did you ever find out what was causing the runs? Her droppings are very neon green, watery and she is plumped up and ruffleled. The only thing I can compare it with is having a flu and getting the chills. She is also tucking her head into her back feathers at night. The other girlswon't allow her to roose on thier perch, so she is forced to sit on the floor or in a nest box.

I'm going to get her some electrolytes first thing in the a.m. and also keep her in the house for some heat some quiet healing time away from the other girls.

5. Country4ever

Country4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2007
    You need to do a head-to-toe assessment on her. What does her crop feel like? What does her abdomen feel like? Does she have lice/mites? I would do that and separate her so you can keep track of her input and output.

6. The Chickens' Maid

The Chickens' Maid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    CT
    She is not getting enough food or water, if any. The neon green in her poo is bile, I think. She needs to be re-hydrated and watched very closely! The electrolytes are good. At this point, she could go downhill VERY fast! It may help to pm threehorses, too, she's very good with this sort of thing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by