My girl has one foamy eye!

Angelbirdy

Songster
Jun 18, 2020
Los Alamos, NM
My Coop
My Coop
My light Brahma has one foamy eye and no other symptoms. We traveled to evacuate from a fire and are now safely home. The girls did a lot of digging in their temporary location, but the yard we used had never had other fowl there. I just separated her after treating the eye with Terramycin, which I had on hand. I plan on disinfecting what I can, although she’s been all over the yard with the girls.

Of course I’m going to worst case and thinking it may be mycoplama, but hoping maybe it’s something else? Opal has a dirty beak in the photo but it’s from a mushy treat I gave her just before taking. Should I treat the flock with Cephalexin just in case?

Attachments

• 951977A5-B8EC-45FD-BC6B-D9C1AF20DD70.jpeg
    951977A5-B8EC-45FD-BC6B-D9C1AF20DD70.jpeg
    770 KB · Views: 14
I would flush the eye with saline eye wash 2-3 times daily, and continue the Terramycin eye ointment. If the eyelid becomes swollen, or other symptoms develop (sneeze, gasping, wheezing,) then you might want to start Tylosin or an antibiotic that treats mycoplasma. Cephalexin is better for wounds.

I would flush the eye with saline eye wash 2-3 times daily, and continue the Terramycin eye ointment. If the eyelid becomes swollen, or other symptoms develop (sneeze, gasping, wheezing,) then you might want to start Tylosin or an antibiotic that treats mycoplasma. Cephalexin is better for wounds.
Thank you, sorry, I didn’t get a notice of your reply. I tried the ointment and cleaning her eye for 5 days, and added vetRX to her water and under her wings. There was no change and she was still acting normally, but I was worried there was an underlying issue with no symptoms so I started her on tylan50 injections 4 days ago. Still no change and no other hens have it, but I will continue for a full 5 days, 1/2 cc a day in her breast muscle. If it’s still there after her dose tomorrow I will continue for 2 more day, I don’t want to make a super bug!

I discontinued isolating her after a week with no change or odor/respiratory issues. I thought perhaps an eye worm or non respiratory eye infection, but there’s no pus and we live in the desert, so tropical worms seem out of the question.

I even applied raw honey in the eye following some other advice, but it just made a sticky mess.
I will update with any changes.

Back
Top Bottom