my girl has very stinky diarrhea and is not eating well

Brenda Jones

Songster
Sep 9, 2020
Upper Eastern Peninsula of Michigan
My one girl has really loose stinky poops (brown), and she is not eating well. she is only eating the regular rations just before going into the coop at night. I know they have stinky cecal poop, but this is REALLY loose.
She looks okay (comb/waddles nice and red) . It is cold/snowy here now so they don't like to go out of the run into the yard, so neither of them ( I have 2) are getting much exercise (other than scratching around in the run)... should I be concerned with the stinky/loose poop? (the poop under the roosting bar is normal looking in the morning when I let them out) She is getting a really dirty butt... it's too cold to bathe her.
  1. She is molting
  2. she does eat treats (greens, grasses, scratch, meal worms, yogurt, etc.,)
  3. she is eating the dust/debris from the alfalfa straw in their run
  4. I order their organic, soy free, corn free food online (Scratch & Peck- pellets with dried grub protein & raw grains with pea protein)
  5. I noticed the last time I ordered - the pellets were 6 months past the milling date (if I read the tag right) and the grains were 4 months past... The tag is confusing, but they both have a "best by date" which were a year from now.
  6. I can only buy 25# of the pellets so I keep those in a large bucket with gamma lid & oxygen absorbers, but I can get the grains in a 10# bag and keep that in a sealed food storage container
  7. She looks otherwise healthy Crop, comb/waddles normal

Cecal is not a concern, in fact it is a healthy digestive system. The only sign something is wrong is the minimal eating, but that by itself isnt really telling anything.

I wonder is she eating and drinking normal in the morning? My guess is she has her routine eating in the morning and drinking, allowing her to eat minimally at night.

Cecal is not a concern, in fact it is a healthy digestive system. The only sign something is wrong is the minimal eating, but that by itself isnt really telling anything.

I wonder is she eating and drinking normal in the morning? My guess is she has her routine eating in the morning and drinking, allowing her to eat minimally at night.
Thank you Banana01; she does eat a little in the morning and goes to bed with a full crop (it's empty in the morning) I just want to make sure she's eating enough to keep her warm and not getting sick (loose stools) because she is eating the alfalfa dust/debris from the run floor looking for seeds/snacks.

I dont have anything to add really, loose brown stinky cecal is healthy, especially at night. And when she wakes up she is refilling her crop. If diarreah is a concern, make sure she has water to drink. The food and snacks sound good, except I feed mine corn and you are corn free, but some say that is better.

Back
Top Bottom