my girl hatched out her babies

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by hunterjumper999, May 12, 2010.

1. hunterjumper999

hunterjumper999 Songster

Dec 26, 2008
    Box Springs
    Im still wondering when...she was off the nest 3 days ago no eggs...but they all have zero yolk. . . and i have a bandaged finger for checking [​IMG]
    some eggs are still Zipping too...
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. javajanie

javajanie Songster

May 10, 2010
    Southern MD
    So cute!

3. 1lpoock

1lpoock Spruce Creek Waterfowl

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    Do guineas take the same amount of time as ducks? Nice pictures by the way! [​IMG]

4. hunterjumper999

hunterjumper999 Songster

Dec 26, 2008
    Box Springs
    I didnt think they did... so im totally perplexed. I'd welcome any imput...i know you can't clearly see most babies but idk how old they are.

5. LindseyM12

LindseyM12 Songster

May 4, 2009
    North Carolina
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. froggie71

froggie71 Songster

Apr 18, 2009
    Shamong, NJ
    How cute! We have guineas that were originally raised with the ducks and they still will lay eggs in the ducks nest. The ducks don't want anything to do with guinea eggs and always throw the guinea eggs out or just move their nest away from the guinea eggs. Guinea eggs are supposed to take 28 days to hatch just like duck eggs, but I've heard many people say that their eggs hatch before then. More like 24-25 days. Can't say by experience as none of our guinea eggs have hatched yet.

7. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

Momma is so pretty! her crest actually looks like a tiara..and i am guessing she has the attitude to go with it!!

8. SO, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, SO super adorable!!! are they under your porch? and how bad is your finger?

9. hunterjumper999

hunterjumper999 Songster

Dec 26, 2008
    Box Springs
    they are under my shed- about a foot in... but i have a lovely "fortress" built for her out of landscape timbers so i bypass that to get pics... i have more but i have to go to class... she's walking them around. I took everyone that hatched, tried to save a duckling stuck in the shell in the nest and think i've killed him ( his yolksack is huge, there was bleeding ect. ) but he's holding on. I have the rest in a crate in the living room...she was losing babies and stepping on guinias and almost drowning them in a puddle so i took most away and shes happy with 3. i also let daddy and her sister back out to help ...and they are!

10. good luck with the little duckling, i hope he makes it! I always want to think that animals respond to their instincts and do good jobs as moms, but really, more often than not, it turns out otherwise! Good for you for taking most of the babies, ducklings are hardier than quail-lings, and are much better equipped to be stepped on. have FUN... and how bad IS your finger?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by