My girl is a boy?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Lute, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Lute

Lute Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2012
    Socorro, NM
    [​IMG]

Frankie is the obvious boy and in the foreground. Lola is the one standing behind him, (she's getting an itch) is it my imagination or is she throwing drake feathers? These are supposed to be a 7 month old breeding pair. They both have curled tail feathers but Frankie's is tightly curled.

Tell me I've imagined the drake feathers on my girl! I want to hatch ducklings this year!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Not 100% on this, but it sure looks like the beginning of a drake curl on the back duck. Is there a difference in their voices?

3. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Sorry but it looks like two drakes to me

4. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Voice sexing is more reliable. Your drake will sound like a ratchet. Your duck will occasionally let out an ear-splitingly loud quack quack quack.

The ducks aren't loud all the time. But they do make a quack and the males do sound like a ratchet.

If you've got a duck, she should be laying eggs here pretty quick. She's old enough and the days are getting longer.

5. Lute

Lute Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2012
    Socorro, NM
    Voice, huh? Then I'm afraid Lola might be a boy. They both are very talky and sound the same right now. Like they're both saying "Whut" over and over and over... I'm hoping one of the many local pidgeons have made them talky.

The one I've dubbed Lola (Now Lowell, I guess) has been rather snippy with my pullets lately. Bossy, even. She/he/it isn't hurting them, just poking them with his/her bill.

Sorry about the bad image, it was taken with my camera phone this morning.

-Lute

Edited to Add: Took Xander out to listen to the ducks. He took choir throughout high school and I'm slowly going deaf in one ear. He says they sound the same to him (You're right, once they're active and talky they sound just like a ratchet!) so we're kinda irked at the guy that sold us the "Breeding Pair". One will be eaten for Easter Dinner. I'm thinking the bully that keeps poking at my pullets. [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  6. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    [​IMG]

At least you have an option for him.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by