my girl is hurt

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by fussaguss, Mar 26, 2011.

1. fussaguss

fussaguss Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2011
    no where ohio
    My day just keeps getting better. Came home to 4 dead roosters and just found one of my girls injured. she is not moving on her own. I picked her up and brought her inside and put her under a brooder lamp. only thing i can tell is wrong with her is it looks like her wing skin is torn a bit. wish icould figure out how to post pictures. i can text them but thats about it. Any suggestions? Just isolated her from the brooder bunch and she still is not moving on her own. ANY HELP WILL BE APPRECIATED. starting to think farm life is not for me. Never cried this much over a chicken lol

2. Agnella

Agnella Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    N. Georgia
    One of my girls was attacked about two weeks ago. For the first few days she barely moved...she was in shock. I used a dropper to drop water onto her beak and she would drink it by sticking her tongue out. I didn't want her to get dehydrated. Maybe just keep her in a dark, warm space and let her get her wits back about her.

Sorry about your losses [​IMG]

Edited to add: I picked her up so she would stand on the second day and her toes on one of her feet were all curled up. I think they probably fell asleep! She started standing on her own shortly after that but didn't do any walking for a few more days. It wasn't until I got her outside to get some sun that she really started moving.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2011
  3. franklinstreetwest

franklinstreetwest Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Urban Jungle
    Be sure to look her over closely for puncture wounds/bites. Clean everything well with epsom salts dissolved in water, to rinse out debris that may have gotten in. Then sterilize with iodine or alchohol.

4. fussaguss

fussaguss Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2011
    no where ohio
    well. lullabell just went to visit the huge grainfield in the sky. she had a seizure then died in my arms.

5. GreenGables

GreenGables Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    MA
    Oh my goodness. I'm so sorry. [​IMG]

6. Agnella

Agnella Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    N. Georgia
    [​IMG]

So sorry about lullabell. I think that 'huge grainfield in the sky' is so sweet. I was really hoping she'd pull though [​IMG]

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    oh how sad

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by