My girl is sick-any suggestions

gothgirl

Hatching
7 Years
Dec 28, 2012
I bought two hens a week ago. All was great, running round the yard eating bugs and returning to their coop at night. This morning one chook is sick, sitting at bottom of coop and runny nose. I brought her inside in a cage, have her in a warm room. She tried to peck a meal worm but she just doesn't want to eat or drink. She closes her eyes which appear clear and ok. Her crop seems empty and no buldges at her vent. No coughing or sneezing, just clear mucus from her beak and nose. So foul smells. Her tail is down and she is fluffed up. I love her so much already. I have a vet appointment with an avian in the morning but not sure if she will make the night. Any suggestions on how to help her til the vet can see her? The other chook is fine, she even laid her first egg.

Hi,
Welcome to BYC. If you have an appt in the morning, I would wait and see what the vet says. I personally do not use a vet for my chickens so here is what I would do.I would isolate the hen. Add vitamins and electrolytes to her water. I would administer a shot of Tylan 200 in the amount of 1/4 cc SQ and if no improvement in 24 hours I would do it again.If some improvement I would wait and give a second shot 48 hours after the first.

But...I am not a vet....I just know it has saved some of my chickens lives to do so.
Good luck with your hen!

Hi,
Welcome to BYC. If you have an appt in the morning, I would wait and see what the vet says. I personally do not use a vet for my chickens so here is what I would do.I would isolate the hen. Add vitamins and electrolytes to her water. I would administer a shot of Tylan 200 in the amount of 1/4 cc SQ and if no improvement in 24 hours I would do it again.If some improvement I would wait and give a second shot 48 hours after the first.

But...I am not a vet....I just know it has saved some of my chickens lives to do so.
Good luck with your hen!
ETA: I also cull if needed but being that this is a pet to you, you are doing the right thing to take her in! again, good luck!

Back
Top Bottom