My girl is spoiled....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chicksngoats, Oct 19, 2009.

1. chicksngoats

chicksngoats Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2009
    I just started free ranging my silkies a few days ago and of the six of them, one them is confused about how to be a chicken. When I walk out to feed them all the birds run for the food except her...she walks around by feet "talking" to me until I pick her up. She would much rather eat out of my hand then off the ground and this morning she left the rest of the flock to hang out on my patio where she could stare at me through my kitchen window until I finally brought her out a piece of bread.

None of my other birds are anything like this...most don't let me pick them up and if I do, they will tolerate it but not really enjoy it. Last night my husband came outside to find me sitting on the deck with "muffin" on my lap half-asleep while I was brushing her...luckily he didn't say anything, just sort of shook his head. This bird is turning me into the crazy chicken lady! But the wierd part is she honestly has been given the same amount of attention until just lately, so why is she so much friendlier than the other birds? Even my 4 year old son was confused by her behavior today. He went to pick her up and then when he sat her down by the coop, she followed him back to the house...He was like "uh mommy....the chicken?" LOL...

2. silkiechick236

silkiechick236 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    Oklahoma
    How sweet!!! I hope one of my silkies turns out to be that loving![​IMG]

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I don't have silkies, but I have 2 that will fly up on me to get treats. One on one arm and one on my other arm. Sometimes I can't even get through the gate...........they are on me like flies on manure.

ETA: I think it's wonderful that you have one so friendly. She'll probably make a great momma chicken.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2009
  4. AK Michelle

AK Michelle Bad Girl of the North

Mar 17, 2009
    Palmer, Alaska
    I have several chickens that are friendly when I go in the run. I have 2 (my Mille Fluers) that will fly out of the run to hang out with me. They follow me around the yard as I do my chores. Sit with me when I've time to sit. They even hang out with my friends when we are having get togethers in the yard.

And yes, they've come to the door looking for me.

5. ihvpower

ihvpower Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2009
    Uxbridge MA
    Mine come flying to me as well! If I am outside, there a few special ones that will stay with me and if I am cleaning in the hen-house, my special RIR flies up and sits on my shoulder while I clean her house . [​IMG]

6. Booswalia

Booswalia Chillin' With My Peeps

She's not spoiled. All chickens smell like that. [​IMG]

7. ihvpower

ihvpower Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2009
    Uxbridge MA
    She's not spoiled. All chickens smell like that.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
  8. chicksngoats

chicksngoats Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2009
    Quote:[​IMG]

She turned traitor yesterday. She told the rest of the chickens that I was handing her treats on the back deck....now the whole flock has been chilling on the deck, pecking at my sliding glass door trying to snag a few treats of their own!

9. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    How sweet! Now you will in turn be given 'treats' . They will all deposit those on your deck and sidewalk. You will still likely have to go to the hen house to get the eggs tho. From now on, double-check your shoes before going indoors! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by