my girl needs a companion...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by KrazyKZ08, Aug 5, 2011.

1. KrazyKZ08

KrazyKZ08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Brevard, FL
    i have a 5 month old female pekin duck. when i got her as a baby i should have gotten more to keep her company and i should have known better. shes always around me and my family so its not like shes completely isolated, but it feels like she would be happier with a duck companion. am i too late? i would like to get at least one or two other ducks and i am willing to raise it or them separate from her until old enough to be introduced because i want them to be as comfortable around people as she is, but i'm not sure if she'll reject them. i know she wont accept them when theyre younger, but once they mature will it matter that shes older? i really made a mess. i would like to get her a mate, but i was also wondering if she would get along with another female. i was wondering if maybe i could get one other female and a male, and if i do, should they be the same breed? because im looking into different breeds. is it unhealthy to mix breeds? lol or does anyone know of a book i could read on all this? i try to look for info online but its all scattered with different answers everywhere i turn. im sorry to be so clueless [​IMG]

2. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

I made the mistake of only having one goose, she loves me but that only lasted until she started to become sexual mature. I found out she was very lonely even though she was kept in with chickens. Her behavior was changing she became distant, just not her self. Then one day she attacked one of my chickens. I found out from a breeder that she was very lonely. So I bought her a duck (baby duck) at first she wanted nothing to do with it, now they are always together swimming having fun. I feel so bad I didn't get her a friend sooner. I know yours is a duck but they need there own kind. Get her a friend. She will be so happy! [​IMG]

3. KrazyKZ08

Aug 2, 2011
    Brevard, FL
    i feel so bad too!! [​IMG] I want to get her at least one companion so bad! but I can't find any local places to get a duckling in central florida this time of year, and when I look online, they want a minimum order of like 10 or they charge alot more. I also don't know if ordering a duck through the mail is right...do you know a website where there is no minimum order? or any places in florida that have ducklings all year?

4. AdamD77

AdamD77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Bedfordshire, England
    Have you tried Classified ads? Maybe you'll have more success just looking for people with pet ducks who have some ducklings which need homes? At least they wouldn't have minimum orders...

5. isaacsmommy104

isaacsmommy104 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Randolph
    You could try craigslist in the farm section. If you don't find any for sale post a wanted ad there. Also try hoobly.com I have a friend who posts her ducks for sale there quite often. We live in Ohio otherwise I would tell you to contact her!

6. KrazyKZ08

Aug 2, 2011
    Brevard, FL
    wow youre right! i was looking on craigslist but in the wrong section lol. and i checked hoobly.com and i found some there also. thank you!i cant wait to have another baby lol [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by