My girl Precious is sick! HELP! photos attached

jeannieo

Songster
11 Years
Oct 25, 2008
Collinsville, CT
I noticed about 3 or 4 days ago Precious, who is prone to broodiness and has been on the nest for about two weeks, didn't quite look right. Then today all of a sudden she looks BAD!

1) What type of bird , age and weight.
Precious is a silver penciled cochin, about a year and a half, weighing 1 lb. 15 oz. (she's always been a tiny little girl)

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
head listing to the right, broody, left eye closed, right eye open

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
about 3 or 4 days

4) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
no

5) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
nothing that I have seen

6) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
since she's been brooding, she's not been eating much but every day I put a handful of Layena pellets and scratch in her box and she always gobbles it down. I make her get out every day so she can stretch and get some water.

7) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
poop looks normal (to me, but I've always been told I don't know s_ _t)

8) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
today I gave her two drops of the poly vi sol without iron. gave her plain greek yogurt with a little jam for flavor which she ate a bit of and a little bread and peanut noodles, miniscule amounts, and syringed some water into her

9 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
I'd like to try and treat her myself but if I need to go to a vet which is an hour away, I will but also it is Saturday (of course!)

10) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.

17629_100_1235.jpg

17629_100_1231.jpg

17629_100_1230.jpg

17629_100_1228.jpg

11) Describe the housing/bedding in use
12 X 8 coop, 3 big windows with hardware cloth, large run, pine shavings which have only been there about two weeks, I just cleaned out the coop from the winter

Thanks in advance!

I've been reading about wry neck, could it be this? she is exhibiting the symptoms of this disorder. I went and got selenium with vitamin e, crushed a tablet and put it with grated apple, plain greek yogurt, chick starter, a drop of polyvisol (I gave her two drops already earlier) and mixed in a little water to make it a little soupier. I have her in a box in my bedroom on towels and am dribbling water on her beak. any encouragement or words of wisdom would be GREATLY appreciated. I'm fairly new at this chicken thing, not quite two years and let me tell you, I am getting an education! I love all my chooks but this one is special, she is very sweet and I just love her so much!
love.gif

anyone? any words of wisdom? she's sleeping right now with her head upside down. She ate a little of the yogurt, vitamin e, selenium mixture. I think her closed left eye was unrelated to what is making her unwell. I wanted to see if there was some sort of extraneous reason for the eye being closed and there was a piece of wood shaving in her eye. I managed to get it out and the eye seems better but she's still messed up.
sad.png

hun if you think she is dying you may want to rethink the vet if thats your intent.....I will pray for your girl myself and im sure others will too but only you can make the final call ....sorry i am not more help
sad.png

thank you everyone for your kind and encouraging words. She is sleeping right now. I hope she is better in the morning. She seems to have gone blind. anyone else experience this?

Back
Top Bottom