My girl rocks .... 7 eggs in one lay!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by 007Dawn, Oct 18, 2009.

1. 007Dawn

007Dawn Out Of Coop

Apr 29, 2009
    My one road isalnd red must be realllllly happy she laid 7 eggs in one sitting! WOW! I have heard the happier they are the more they will lay.

I have about 29 eggs this morning and 11 girls! I'm so proud!

2. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    How long was the "sitting"????!!!!!!
    JJ

3. 007Dawn

007Dawn Out Of Coop

Apr 29, 2009
    Not long she just seemed to drop one right after the other. I didn't think they could lay that much at one time and apparently neither did she![​IMG]

4. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    ok I have to see this-can you catch her on film? its just seems thats impossible-I mean no disrepsect at all-just jealous if this realy happened:) I cant imagine that is a good thing health wise? Oh that poor hens hoo-ha!!!

5. 007Dawn

007Dawn Out Of Coop

Apr 29, 2009
    ok I have to see this-can you catch her on film? its just seems thats impossible-I mean no disrepsect at all-just jealous if this realy happened:) I cant imagine that is a good thing health wise? Oh that poor hens hoo-ha!!![/quote

No offensie taken! I think it is so cool but it is done and we will have to wait until tomorrow and I would love to take a picture and or film it but I don't have a camcorder.

All my girls are healthy and sassy! We read on line that the worlds record was 12 at one time! I think that is amazing!

6. jjthink

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    That really is beyond the norm. The most I had a hen lay in one day was 4 and it's because she had a problem with them being jammed up in there. One without a shell was 'stuck' and there was a back up in the assembly line (poor Betty). Their bodies are programmed to usually lay at most one per day.
    JJ

7. 007Dawn

007Dawn Out Of Coop

Apr 29, 2009
    Maybe so but mine was happy as can be and she laid them!

I knew she was "fat" but I would had never guessed. Just plop, plop, plop one right after the other. They are all normal size and healthy looking.

In 1913 there was a hen that was said to had laid over 300 eggs in one production year. Which was said not to be able to be done either. So I guess every hen to herself! LOL

And like previously mentioned there is a record of a mans hen laying 12 at one time. So I guess we never really know!

8. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    WOW!! That really is amazing-Im glad your hen is happy too-I know if I had to give birth to more than 1 child at a time I'd would want to be knocked out!!!

9. jjthink

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    No, we never really know! But it is a terrific strain on them so I hope it was a one time thing!
    JJ

10. Uppity Peon

Uppity Peon Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Wow. I think 7 eggs would just about outweigh one of my RIR pullets. They are good layers though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by