My girls..and a few questions

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Balboaroc, Mar 23, 2009.

1. Balboaroc

Balboaroc Out Of The Brooder

Feb 2, 2009
    Carroll County, MD
    [​IMG]
    All my girls are 3 weeks old as of yesterday. This is my Silver Laced Wyandotte. This one here has a little different comb...is that normal? The other SLW I have has what looks like a traditional comb coming in. This looks almost like a lack of a comb altogether.

[​IMG]
    My little New Hampshire girl in the front but actually I was trying to catch the little "neck flaps", as my 6 year old calls them, growing in on my Austrolorp behind her. Cracks me up how fast this chicks grow! And speaking of the Austrolorp according to the feed store she's supposed to be a pullet but her comb is much pinker/redder than the other chicks I have. I only have one Aust. though so no other in my bunch to compare to. Is it still a little too early to say she may be a he?
    [​IMG] Here is the Austrolorp again in the middle...

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    probably a boy

3. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    The wattles so early makes me think roo. [​IMG]

4. Balboaroc

Balboaroc Out Of The Brooder

Feb 2, 2009
    Carroll County, MD
    Hmmm this kinda stinks. I mean it could be a blessing in disguise if she is a he. Just unanticipated.

When we got them they had all of the breeds separated. The only ones I was supposed to worry about having the potential of a roo was the Wyandottes and Cochins which were straight run and unsexed... BUT had the potential of 1 out of 100 of getting a roo. They said it could happen but would be unlikely.

Time will tell!![​IMG]

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    more like 1 out of 10; sexing chicks isn't that exact a science

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by