My girls are 13 weeks. Is that too early to use the fake eggs?

Jun 10, 2020
First time chickener. In the last week my four sexlinks have gone from poking around the yard to digging little ditches and sitting in them. My guess is the store bought coup has an area they normally sleep in but I was told to NOT let them sleep there until they start laying eggs. They are very disgruntled I evicted them from that area last week (though there are bars for them to roost on but only one does) and I think are rebelling by digging ditches. I'm wondering if I could open up the egg laying area now and put in the fake egg even though it will probably be a few more weeks until they start laying eggs? Is it bad to do it early?

All chickens dig those annoying ankle breaking holes. They are necessary for dustbathing sunbathing bliss. If they are only 13 weeks, that's way too early to be thinking about laying. The reason to block off the nest boxes is to keep them out for any business other than laying. They poop up a storm at night. You don't want your eggs laid in a poopy box. They will all start to roost soon. 13 weeks is not unusual to still be sleeping in a pile on the floor.

Thanks Percheron for the fast reply. Luckily my lawn potholes are off to the size. As for the early egg motel, it sounds like I'll just have to deal with getting the evil eye for a couple more months (I mean evil eyes ;-). Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20200531_141335.jpg
    IMG_20200531_141335.jpg
    480.7 KB · Views: 8
First time chickener. In the last week my four sexlinks have gone from poking around the yard to digging little ditches and sitting in them. My guess is the store bought coup has an area they normally sleep in but I was told to NOT let them sleep there until they start laying eggs. They are very disgruntled I evicted them from that area last week (though there are bars for them to roost on but only one does) and I think are rebelling by digging ditches. I'm wondering if I could open up the egg laying area now and put in the fake egg even though it will probably be a few more weeks until they start laying eggs? Is it bad to do it early?
It's the nests, not the coop, they aren't allowed to sleep in(ever!).
Need to 'train' them to use the roosts now.
Post pics of your coop, inside and out, and we can help you figure out how to do that.

Back
Top Bottom