my girls are almost naked

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by rhoda_bruce, Jun 23, 2010.

1. rhoda_bruce

rhoda_bruce Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Cut Off, LA
    I wish I could think of something to make my hens look a little better. If I killed one of them, in particular, I could probably have her completely plucked in 2 minutes, by hand. Its really pitiful. They were so pretty a few months ago. Anyone in the same boat as me? Maybe I can blame BP, but probably not.

2. RedfogsFlock

RedfogsFlock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2010
    Wittmann, AZ
    lol Mine too! Mine sit under the misters with the fans blowing on them all day. I thought hens were supposed to hate water, but mine are living in it right now. My girls feathers are all ratty looking, and fallin out. I think your right could have em plucked in two seconds flat! I feel like a bad chicken owner! lol

Anyone out there???? Anyone???? (((((echos))))

3. kelliepulido

kelliepulido Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    st.john's mi
    Mine look the same some of them anyways the roos seem to be really attracted to frizzles,the showgirls and silkie are totally ignored,I made a rooster ranch to cut back on that problem so hopefully the feathers will start growing back,too many roos

4. Gallusfarm

Gallusfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    I have the same problem. I never thought about a mister, that is a good idea. Can they get sunburn? Not only does one in particular have no feathers, the skin is really red as well... I feel bad for them.

5. rhoda_bruce

rhoda_bruce Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Cut Off, LA
    I already put my roosters all by their lonesome about a week ago. I feel like going outside with some cold cream. They look terrible. I went visit someone else's coop a few months ago and I was so proud of my hens because they looked better than his, many times over, but not now.
    I have never had ugly chickens before, but then again, I never had them run out of grass before either.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by