My girls are almost ready... how to get their nest?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Earth420, Jun 2, 2007.

1. Earth420

Earth420 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2007
    Do we give um straw or what?
    Do they make their own nest or not?
    Now that I have the other orphans gone at another good home, and its just Henny and Penny I know they are getting big and are almost 3 and some months old...
    Whats the best way to get um ready for the nest and to lay? Im new but...
    They tore up- I was digging in the garden today and they got to tackle a nest of baby pincher bugs...

it was great! And I love the way they are "talking" now, no more baby talk but not so adult, in between... the long coos at feeding or wanting to get in my arms! I am having a great time having them! They are the coolest chickens ever! And never run away... and dont peck your hand too hard!

Peace

2. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    Basically all you need is a nest box which you can make or buy. Build a box approximately 12"wide, 14"high and 12" deep and place it 12" off the ground. I use timothy hay in my nest box, it's cheaper then straw and the chickens like it. They arrange the hay how they want it. Just provide a nest box and they will lay in it..usually. I do have a couple of Jap bantams that love to lay their eggs under the ramp going into the run. [​IMG] But at least I know where I can find them.

3. Earth420

Earth420 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2007
    Ah okay... they both have their own nesting box above the ground with ramps leading to them... 2 one for each! they go to them too! Let me tell ya!

I was just wondering, so I can just put that in, and they can arrange and thats it?
    No perfect nest to be had?

Cool...

Peace

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by