1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

MY GIRLS ARE BACK !!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by unionwirewoman, Nov 30, 2007.

1. unionwirewoman

unionwirewoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Kalispell , MT
    For about the last 6 weeks my girls have been moulting , well , at least a few that have been really noticeable . I was only getting 2-5 eggs a day out of 19 hens . This past sunday I got five , monday 6, tuesday 9 , wednsday 11 , thursday 11 , and today 10 ! Guess I'll have to contact my customers again ( I have 6 dozen in the fridge now ) to get rid of them ! I just thought they might not lay as much during the cold months (it was 2 degrees this morning and only warmed up to 18 . our high for the last 2 weeks was 38 ) . I guess all the threatening of going into the stew pot was a motivation for them (LOL ! )[​IMG]

2. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Yeah for you [​IMG] I am curious..since I am going through a molt for the first time with my Australorps......... how long does it usually last? One barred hen I have has never stopped laying and my bantams have just started laying in the cold weather?

3. unionwirewoman

unionwirewoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Kalispell , MT
    Not sure .... the first hen I got is a rir and she didn't moult for the first three years (not that I noticed ) and she layed every day ( odd) but since I moved she started moulting (it's been a year since we moved ) can't tell if she's laying everyday now cause I have two other rir's . [​IMG]

4. Itsme

Itsme Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2007
    NW Wisconsin
    [​IMG]

A couple of my girls are on vacation.....lol, The one is even going through a personalitiy change. Interesting.

unionwirewoman, I am curious about your user name.

I work for a wire and cable company.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by