My girls are finally eating my worms

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by lisebarb, Feb 14, 2009.

1. lisebarb

lisebarb Chillin' With My Peeps

I've got two 55 gal barrels of worms (e. foetida) sitting in my shed making compost for my spring garden. When I got the chickens last August I had hoped that I could feed them the worms over the winter as a good protein source.

Over the summer and fall they went wild over all the crickets and spiders so I thought the worms would be a good replacement. Well, every time I'd put some worms out for them to eat they'd peck at a couple of them then ignore the rest.

Well this morning I thought I'd give it another shot so when I was in the shed mixing their morning feed/scratch mix, I scooped up a beer cup full of worms and headed out to their pen.

The worms are all mixed in with their casings so it all kind of plopped in a damp heap on the ground. The gals were curious but didn't bite. Then I spread the blob of worm/castings out and when they say the worms wiggling, dove in and started gobbling.

I swear it was the funniest thing I ever saw! The gals were slurping up those worms like a kid eating strands of spaghetti! LOL

My four gals are a constant source of amusement for me and I'm giving serious thought to building a bigger coop and getting 4 more. Barbara

2. RendonRoo

RendonRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    ft. worth
    Build a lot bigger coop and order a bunch more. lol. No one here will discourage you. Darned enablers. lol

3. patricew

patricew Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2009
    Lincoln, VT
    Only 4??? You definately need more!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by