My *girls* are getting so big!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by JusticeFamilyFarm, Jun 23, 2011.

1. JusticeFamilyFarm

JusticeFamilyFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2011
    Southern California
    ANd I say *girls* because I am hoping they are, but have no idea. So... at what age should I start taking some individual pics and post them to ask for all of your experienced help with telling if my girls are girls? Some breeds are younger than others when you can tell, right?
    Well, anyway- here are my chicks as of today! They are growing so fast! (And still waiting on their coop... [​IMG] )

The barred rocks are about 6 1/2 weeks, the others range from 3 1/2 to just over 4 weeks. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    They are beautiful...I would say a couple more weeks you should be able to tell. Watch for reddish combs emerging that is the first signs I notice.

PS i'm thinking I see a few girls in there for sure [​IMG] Good luck!

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  3. Kyle241

Kyle241 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2011
    They look good! With BPR's, I have read you have to take into account several things to determine sex. The girls are a darker black whereas the roos tend to be a lighter colour. Also the legs are darker and then obviously there is the comb development.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  4. Roooisin

Roooisin Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2011
    Quote:what breed are your golden coloured chickens? they're beautiful.. [​IMG]

5. JusticeFamilyFarm

May 27, 2011
    Southern California
    Róóóisín :

Quote:what breed are your golden coloured chickens? they're beautiful.. [​IMG]

Those are Buff Orpingtons. Thanks! [​IMG]

6. JusticeFamilyFarm

May 27, 2011
    Southern California
    Quote:Thank you- and, yes... since the Barred Rocks are older I have already posted them here on BYC and had opinions & pointers on telling their sex. It seemed to be unanimous that they are girls [​IMG] Now I'm just waiting on the other 12 chicks to get to where we can tell. Until then we'll just enjoy them all. [​IMG]

7. Good looking chicks. Give em time you'll tell which ones are boys and girls for sure. Patience, patience, patience. Whey they crow you'll know for sure.

8. JusticeFamilyFarm

May 27, 2011
    Southern California
    Quote:I know... patience, patience, patience. I was just hoping for a different answer. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. KaitlynChick55

KaitlynChick55 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2011
    Calumet, UP of MI
    Aww, they are so adorable!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by