My girls are growing up so fast!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by oaklandgurlz, Dec 24, 2015.

1. oaklandgurlz

oaklandgurlz New Egg

Dec 19, 2015
    Against all better judgement and research, we bought 6 Silver Laced Wyandottes on Thanksgiving weekend thinking I had PLENTY of time to finish the coop. The weather in SF Bay area saw it differently. Sunday, we will have had them 4 weeks, so I'm pretty sure they're 5-6 weeks old. My question is, is there any danger of shock by moving them from the warmer house into the cold coop. They've been under a heat lamp 100% of their time here, in a brooder, in the dining room. in the house, the lamp keeps them around 60-75f.
    It's Christmas eve and they really need to go.
    I'll have a heat lamp in the coop, but it is getting down to just above freezing here in Oakland. I doubt I can maintain 50f overnight in the coop. They huddle together as soon as I remove the lamp for any reason i.e. changing food and water.
    I am planning on using deep litter method during winter months at least.
    Anything I should be concerned about?

Bryan in Oakland

[​IMG]

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    If they huddle together they are cold, so you will need to maintain the heat and gradually wean them off the heat. I hope others with more experience can advise further.

Good luck
    Ct

3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC & Merry Christmas! I'm glad you joined us! :)

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I agree with CT Ken. Are they fully feathered out or still have down?

5. oaklandgurlz

oaklandgurlz New Egg

Dec 19, 2015
    [​IMG]
    Here are the girls as of Jan 3. Two still have a bit of down on their butts, but otherwise they're fully feathered. Temp got down into the low 40s f and they did just fine.

Couple of questions:
    Is it too early (6-8 weeks old) to begin adding salad and stale bread scraps into their diets? No meat.

Does anyone have a design for a predator proof (rats, cats, raccoons, hawks) chicken run that is built on a STEEP 30% slope? I plan on using 1/2" PVC with construction fabric, but the angles make for a tough build and a LOT of wasted mesh. Any Ideas? I'm also posting this on the coop/run forum,

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by