My Girls Are Laying Again!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by DragonEggs, Jul 6, 2010.

1. DragonEggs

DragonEggs Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    Borger, TX
    My flock has been on the rise from fowl pox. Everyone was looking pretty pathetic for awhile there. Just the other day I noticed no more sores and the roosters were starting to do their buisness again. Today I heard clucking outside and vaugely though "That sounds like the egg song..." When it didn't quit after a few minutes I went outside to check and sure enough one of my seramas had laid an egg!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Even though the boys had been gettin busy I was told the first few eggs aren't usually fertile. I blew the egg out and sure enough, it was fertile! Does this mean all her eggs after this one will be fertile too?

2. RM44

RM44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2009
    Woodstock, Georgia
    Congrats on getting your flock nursed back to health. What a relief!

3. DragonEggs

May 11, 2010
    Borger, TX
    You aint kiddin! So should I expect the rest of her eggs to be fertilized as well? I wanna start incubating.

4. RM44

Jul 15, 2009
    Woodstock, Georgia
    I don't know anything about fowl pox, but I'm paranoid as heck. I wouldn't incubate for a few weeks, and I have no good reason other than I'd be scared the fowl pox haven't completely left the system yet. Again, that's just me and I am not aware of any scientific evidence to support it, but I have a very conservative approach to recovering from diseases, etc.

5. DragonEggs

May 11, 2010
    Borger, TX
    So is it possible the pox could already be inside the developing chick? that it could be born with the pox?

6. RM44

Jul 15, 2009
    Woodstock, Georgia
    I don't know that for sure. What I'm saying is that I would want to make sure the fowl pox totally exited the hen (and all the parts used to create and lay eggs) before I incubated. But that's just me being a big ole scaredy cat! I have absolutely no knowledge of fowl pox or how that stuff might be transmitted. I would just advise going slowly as they recover from any disease.

7. DragonEggs

May 11, 2010
    Borger, TX
    I hear the egg song again!......

YUP! EGG!

I think I'm going to let her get a few in the box before I take them. Id like to see if we can't get her to go broody. Seems broody fever is going around in my area, lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by