1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

my "girls" are now 2 1/2 months - gender guesses?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by smnytx, Dec 9, 2007.

1. smnytx

smnytx Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2007
    I know my BR, Rocky, is a pullet - the barring is the girly kind, and she's just clearly a hen-to-be. Thankfully!

The RIR (actually, production red), Rhody, used to worry me a lot. However, DH grew up with RIRs, and is certain she's a pullet. Anyone disagree? This is her at nine weeks (a week ago):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The EE (sold as an Americauna from Ideal) - this is the one that worries me now. I don't know enough about the "pointed feathers" thing or the pea comb (is that what this will be?). Her golden head makes her look roo-ish to me, but again, DH thinks she's a she... and all three did come from the pullet bin! Here are a lot of shots of her, again, taken at 9 weeks:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I included this last pic because I read on another thread where you could tell by the wing feathers... but I didn't quite understand the explanation. I know there is another chicken of this color type on the board (I've seen the pictures, but can't remember where). Does this look like a hen? (fingers crossed)...

Thanks in advance!

PS - the RIR is the largest, with the EE almost as big. The BR is the petite one of the bunch, and has been since I got them, 2 days after hatching.

2. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    Looks like a hen to me.

3. MaransGuy

MaransGuy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2007
    Greenfield, MA
    At 9 weks I would say hens. I have some 3 week old chicks right now and can already see the roo's in both production reds and EE. Both combs would be more pronounced by now if they were roos. Also, pointy feathers on the neck can be confusing because a lot of hens will have somewhat pointy feathers and certain color patterns can make them look a lot more pointy than they really are.

Richard

4. picklespickles

picklespickles Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    what is the name for the bi color of those last feathers? i have one who has similar on her lower back and i really really like it.

5. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    hens

6. pattycake

pattycake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2007
    fingerlakes, ny
    I say hens too -- I have a RIR with some slight hackling and curling tail feathers, unlike her sister, but she started laying recently, phew. She looked just like yours!

7. smnytx

smnytx Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2007
    This is the best news I've heard all day! I have three hens, woo hoo!

Now, I just have to wait a couple more months for some EGGS![​IMG]

8. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Your RIR girl there at 9 weeks has a pretty large comb for a girl....it isn't red though and wattles are tiny so that's a good sign.

Different breed but single comb at 16-17 weeks old .

9. gardener

gardener Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2007
    Willamette Valley
    I have ten week old RIR roo. I am betting yours is a pullet.

Here is a photo from today

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 10, 2007
  10. ScapeChicken

ScapeChicken Out Of The Brooder

Well for comparison sake, here’s what’s supposed to be a RIR pullet at just six weeks old. I think I have a roo on my hands.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by