1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My girls are picking on their new boy

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by crazyboutchickenfamily, Jul 28, 2011.

1. crazyboutchickenfamily

crazyboutchickenfamily Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2011
    We bought 3 ducklings for our son for Easter this year. He raised them all very successfully. We figured out that we had 3 girls so we bought him a drake this past weekend. He's close to the same age as our girls. We put him in with them the next day. They are still picking on him today and I feel really bad for him. I know that they have to establish peck order just like chickens but I figured by now they would hve done got it done. I could really use some advive on what to do.[​IMG][​IMG]:frow

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    If they were raised together then as drake he would have been the boss. But as the newbie, one against three I guess he could use a little help establishing some authority. My ducks were raised together so I don't have direct experience introducing new ducks. If you ever want the girls to accept him as a mate, you might want to give him a little advantage. Perhaps you could give him the run of the pen for a while and introduce the girls one at a time. I'm sure the girls will complain about that arrangement, but they don't seem to be making this easy for you.

3. crazyboutchickenfamily

Mar 15, 2011
    Thank you so much for the advice. This is our first time having ducks and we are really enjoying them. We have had chickens alot but I am finding out reading about ducks how different they are. I know how to introduce chickens but ducks are a whole new game. I will try that and see if it works! Thanks again![​IMG]:weee:clap:ya:woot

4. Stormy Autumn

Stormy Autumn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Florida
    I don't know how much space you have, but you could also try splitting the pen in half with some chicken wire and letting him have one side to himself. Then the girls would be able to see and hear him (and get used to him), but they wouldn't be able to attack him. After a while, they'll probably warm up to him and won't mind him sharing the whole pen.

5. crazyboutchickenfamily

Mar 15, 2011
    Thanks so much for all the suggestions![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by