my girls are sneezing....(is this common)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Horse-n-bunny, Dec 1, 2012.

1. Horse-n-bunny

Horse-n-bunny Out Of The Brooder

Dec 1, 2012
    Connecticut
    Hi everyone,

I am a new chciken daddy and have had my girls for 5 weeks (they are 3-4 months old) recently they have started sneezing...im not sure what tbis means or if it is a problem...it has been in the upper 20s at night and 30's or 40's during the day... they stay mostly in the coop but i let them free range under supervision for a few hours too... thanks in advance for your advice...btw they are 2 barred rocks and one sliver wynandot (i think).... they sneeze a few times a day but it seems like mostly when they are drinking or eating(growers crumble)

[​IMG]

2. salt and pepper

salt and pepper Chillin' With My Peeps

if it's not that regular, then I wouldn't worry too much. now if they do it often it could be a respiratory problem

3. Horse-n-bunny

Dec 1, 2012
    Connecticut
    okay thannks salt and pepper... ill monitor it as best I can...

4. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2012
    If it's that cold, provide some heat to their coop with a heat lamp (it can be a cozy 50-60F for them). Respiratory diseases in chickens (around where I live) often show up when stressed or cold.

Good luck.

5. salt and pepper

I always heard you weren't supposed to put heat in the coop???

6. cowcreekgeek

cowcreekgeek Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2012
    Hurricane, WV
    First, there are several schools of thought in regard to heating coops ... I'm of the belief that it's best to keep 'em acclaimated to their surrounding.
    If you do choose to heat your coop? When it's really cold, and a bulb fails, or the power goes off in a storm, you're gonna lose your birds.

For certain, you can safely give your entire flock Apple Cider Vinegar at the rate of 4 teaspoons to the gallon (but not in galvanized metal containers). The tannin in the ACV helps to 'cut through' the mucus and other coatings in their mouths, throats and intestines, which helps them to more easily expel it. Additionally, this serves to protect them from the toxins produced by botulism, and boost their immune systems -- removing excess mucus improves the uptake of nutrients/vitamins, and any medication(s) given as well. And, the acidity (targeting 5~6 pH) creates a hostile environment for internal parasites ... all that great goodness, and it's cheaper than decent dirt ~'-)

7. Horse-n-bunny

Dec 1, 2012
    Connecticut
    @salt And pepper --I'm not gonna hear coop as they huddle together to keep warm and nestle down in pine shavings. I too read not to heat coop.

8. salt and pepper

I guess if you want it to be a little warmer and a pit safer you could put a couple of hot water bottles in there? not sure if this would help though

9. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2012
    I just kept mine inside; in a cage, but make sure everybody is okay with that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by